TR5 "Patience " Re-build

More added to the blog - Progress being made, but all a bit slow. Nothing fits straight away. Everything takes 4 or 5 times longer than you expect.

Best Bill

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/page-16

Welcome to my world Bill.

Stuart.

Welcome to my world Bill.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart - yes I know and unlike me you have the benefit of great experience and knowledge. In comparison when I did my TR6 20+ years ago, this one is a lot more difficult. I guess because it's a 5 and parts/components are just not the same as they were then nor a sound understanding of how things should be made and fit.

Thank goodness, there are still people like you around.

best Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne

Extremely interesting picture story of the rebuild Bill, I have enjoyed following it. I see you got your tank from Andy Wiltshire in the end. I went for the largest one, 54 litres, which made it very tight for the prv and hoses, but my bosch pump is in the wheelarch. I don't think my spare would fit in the position yours is in!

I am looking for a petrol smell in the boot, had everything out (except the tank itself) which is under 2 years old and I'm sure is fine, but cannot locate any leaks or weeps anywhere. Even left the pump running for 1/2 hour so it was circulating, nothing! All new petrol hoses were fitted in and around the boot with the new tank, so at a loss where it is coming from, unless it is 'breathing' through the filler!

Extremely interesting picture story of the rebuild Bill, I have enjoyed following it. I see you got your tank from Andy Wiltshire in the end. I went for the largest one, 54 litres, which made it very tight for the prv and hoses, but my bosch pump is in the wheelarch. I don't think my spare would fit in the position yours is in!

I am looking for a petrol smell in the boot, had everything out (except the tank itself) which is under 2 years old and I'm sure is fine, but cannot locate any leaks or weeps anywhere. Even left the pump running for 1/2 hour so it was circulating, nothing! All new petrol hoses were fitted in and around the boot with the new tank, so at a loss where it is coming from, unless it is 'breathing' through the filler!

Hi Mike

Well I haven't put any fuel in it yet, so I don't know if I'll have any fuel smells, but I have gone to the trouble of using PTFE pipes everywhere and when doing so I found that you need to use JIC unions instead of BSP unions, as you can't crimp a PTFE pipe with BSP unions. They are very similar, but not the same. Then of course you need the adaptors to join the BSP unions to the JIC unions. For example, the returns back into the top of the tank. One of the complications I had was one of the returns would have been to big, if I had tried to use an elbow union,i.e. the one nearest the boot on the left. That won't fit as it would have been too tall. That had to be converted to a banjo fitting and the bango reamed to fit. (See the picture). Andy's tank wasn't a very good fit either which was a disappointment. I had to adjust and fettle a lot to make it fit. It took a long time. Nothing is straight forward.

As for the spare wheel. I can fit a spare wheel. I used the TR6 spare wheel as a guide, which is bigger than standard before I positioned the pump. It's tight, but all good.

Hope to see you soon

Best Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne
  • 1 month later...

Bill,

Very nice!

Thanks for the idea of re-using the original gear box tunnel, I was planning of buying a new one, but don't like to spent money on a part that fits poorly.

Regards,

Waldi

Looking very tidy Bill , I think it would improve the visuals if the lamp panel was black as per original on 5/6, really notices on a light coloured car. You are doing a very thorough job keep it up. Chris

Hi Chris

I tend to agree, but this is being built for Fiona, it's her choice and it's going to be a lady's car.. From my point of view, It's just a tad stressful to work with such light coloured trim. I'm amazed I haven't made it grubby yet.. Give it time.

Thank you for your support

best Bill

Bill,

Very nice!

Thanks for the idea of re-using the original gear box tunnel, I was planning of buying a new one, but don't like to spent money on a part that fits poorly.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Thank you - as to the gearbox cover. If it's not too bad and not distorted too much. Then although repairing is a bit of a faf, you have nothing to loose. Apart from some time and some glue etc. We used fibre glass sheets, + resin and built it up in layers, using cardboard cut to shape for the damaged areas, overlaid with the fibre glass sheets and then resin mixed with hardener on top. It took a few days, as you have to leave a layer to dry overnight etc., but well worth it, and you know it will fit and probably provide the best sound proofing.

Good luck

Thank you

best Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi all

A huge day yesterday - she finally took her 1st breath - amazing really when you consider that this car hasn't run for 26+ years. Especially when she hasn't been set up yet, timing not done, throttles/butterfly's not set up. A few issues though, 2 water leaks, 1 power steering leak, but hopefully sortable. You can see more on my updated blog and there is a link ( I think ) to a face tube video of her being started for the 1st time. Not sure how to put a video on the blog, so that's the best I can offer. Although there is a link here as well. More stuff done - still loads to do. Thanks all for your interest. - Best Bill

https://www.facebook.com/fiona.farrell.94/videos/10212216674599256/

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2013/07/0055/TR5-Patience-Rebuild

Edited by Bill Bourne

Hi Bill. Sounds like you are on the the finishing Straight, seems years ago when you were selling parts at Malvern !

Well I don't do facebook, and I have no idea what a blog is......but well done anyway.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Congratulations Bill. A major milestone passed! Its a stunning car. I love the paintwork and the interior detail. The video link is not available unfortunately but I'm sure she sounds perfect. Keep up the good work.

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom

Yes indeed, and just like you I didn't notice it, until probably a week later. I was about to blame the paint shop until I deduced, oh for goodness sake, it must have been me..

Thankfully , well so far, I haven't managed to do any other damage.

The joys..

Best Bill

If you look at the top of that link - it quotes "Classic Cartoursme" - that is an old website that I created within 1 & 1, for the TR tour that I organised to Greece in 2007. I'm certainly not a dealer. The rest of it is made up as related links by 1 & 1. Not under my control I'm afraid.

As it bothers you, I'll try and remove it.

Excellent work Bill, I can't wait to see it at the Lincoln International next year maybe?

I like the small spotlights on the front, what make are they?

Gary