TR5 "Patience " Re-build

Good morning all

TR5/6 Heater Fan - Plastic blades

I've just about finished the refurb of the heater assembly, but one of last actions is to fit the fan back on the electric motor shaft.

It's a half moon shaft and normally held in place with a square spire clip. Unfortunately the female center of the fan is slightly worn and wobbles even with a new spire clip and hits the housing when connected up. Not sure what to do, as you can't seem to get new fans anymore. I could use some araldite, but you would never be able to take it off again. So have thought about cutting a a thread down the shaft, but not sure that would work, as it's only a half moon shaft. Any ideas ??

Thank you

best Bill

Fill the centre of the fan with JB Weld, when set redrill to original size?

John.

mmm. It's a good idea, but it I will have to be a very accurate re-drilling, then filing out the half moon flat, so that it will sit on the shaft nice and tight. So I'm still gathering the options and debating what to do. Plus I'm considering another possible option. That is to use an MGB fan. The cylinder type. I think it might just fit. So I've ordered an old one to see. The fixing of the fan to the shaft looks different, but the motor and shaft look to be the same Lucas type unit. Not sure yet.

best

Bill

This will be the 3rd weekend assembling the engine.Saturdays only.

(TR5) re-build - back end trial fitted, front end / timing all set up and complete. Trial fitted the head and hope to finish with new rocker shaft and rockers, finish the back end, fit the sump, refurbish the pedestal with new seals etc.

All takes time

post-391-0-94828900-1455799768_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-87413400-1455799794_thumb.jpg

mmm. It's a good idea, but it I will have to be a very accurate re-drilling, then filing out the half moon flat, so that it will sit on the shaft nice and tight. So I'm still gathering the options and debating what to do. Plus I'm considering another possible option. That is to use an MGB fan. The cylinder type. I think it might just fit. So I've ordered an old one to see. The fixing of the fan to the shaft looks different, but the motor and shaft look to be the same Lucas type unit. Not sure yet.

best

Bill

I found the solution - I bought the MG fan - circular type, which fits really well and provides more ooomph simply by it's design. £9.50 ...So I've fitted and re-assembled.

Works a treat

Best Bill

Hi all

Have managed at long last to get a blog with photos up on the TR website. Showing the progress so far. It's not very clear on how to upload etc,... It could be made a lot lot easier with some dialog drop down explanation notes...

Bill

• 1 month later...

I found the solution - I bought the MG fan - circular type, which fits really well and provides more ooomph simply by it's design. £9.50 ...So I've fitted and re-assembled.

Works a treat

Best Bill

Bill it's a 5

MG parts NOOOOOOOO :angry:

Hi Roy

I nooo.. but as one yorkshire man said to me once. If it don't work, it aon't nowt good is it.. :huh:

and you can't see the fan, and , and I don't fancy a small propeller finding it's way in bits down my hot water pipes :wub:

best Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking good Bill first time I have looked at this very informative really enjoyed seeing your progress :)

Loved the plumbing :lol::lol:

Look forward to seeing more, do you have a completion date?

Cheers

Mike B)

Looking good Bill first time I have looked at this very informative really enjoyed seeing your progress :)

Loved the plumbing :lol::lol:

Look forward to seeing more, do you have a completion date?

Cheers

Mike B)

Hi Mike

Thank you, completion date ? mmmmmm :huh:. Well it's almost 6 months behind what was envisaged, so not really sure. I guess at the end of this year sometime. As you can see we are now in the stage of making sure all the panels etc line up. I'm planning today to take the chassis with engine gearbox to the paint shop, so that the alignments can be completed with the chassis fully loaded. Once done, then body off - more expoxy, rub down, more primer, rub down, then paint - then fit again to the chassis for the final time.That hopefully will be done by the end of the month. Then take it home for waxoyling and fitting out.

More posts to the blog soon.

best Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your reply, I guessed it was behind on completion. Not worth rushing a masterpiece, the miles of enjoyment will still be there for you. :)

Regards

Mike. B)

• 1 month later...

Hi Harry

It was a very, very close decision on the colour..! and I've had to work very hard to be totally neutral. Zipped lips... Now the debate will continue over trim colour choices. all good fun. Can't wait to get the car home and start the fitting out..

Best Bill

Bill,

Hi, could you please explain how I can access your rebuild blog, or perhaps you could build a link into your profile signature?

Tks

Paul

Hi Paul

If you go to the Tr-Register home page - then "owners blogs" - click on that, then "Patience" is on (currently) the 4th page

Here's the link

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2016/02/0055/TR5-Patience-Rebuild

Enjoy,

best regards

Bill