gear box tunnel replacement

Today I set about removing the H-frame and the old gearbox tunnel to fit my shiny new replacement tunnel.

The old one was the original fibreboard one, with various holes cut in it. I hadn't removed this before so I thought it must need a new one, particularly as the rear propshaft tunnel fibreboard cover was all broken.

Anyway, turned out the gearbox tunnel was actually fine, but I'm replacing it anyway now its out. Surprisingly little if any oil on the underside of it (unlike my Herald tunnel which is like an oil well).

One of the other jobs while it's out is to put in an exhaust pipe fixing somewhere along the way, as the phoenix pipe I have is just dangling off the rear frame at the moment, and bangs around on the t-shirt.

Also change the gearbox oil.

There was an old Radiomobile 1070xb radio fitted in the H frame. I took this out and noticed that it was set to positive earth polarity on its little switch underneath. It may well be fried as I have a negative earth car. Obviously it was converted at some point. It wasn't working anyway as there are no speakers! I was going to dump the radio, bit I think I will see if it works and maybe hook up an mp3 player or some such new fangled thingy. It looks very 70's.

Anything else recommended whilst I have it all in bits?

Cheers

Dave

====

See if you have an exhaust hangar off the rear of gearbox mount bracket. That helps centralise the exhaust pipe away from the steelwork and routes it in the correct orientation towards the rear, you can get in that area whilst you have the gearbox cover off.

Mick Richards

Hi Dave,

whilst you have the new tunnel out of the car it may be an idea to insert all the handy access holes required.

Lefthand side - Oil Filler, OD solenoid

Righthand side - OD alignment jigging hole, speedo angle drive. Possibly an hole nearer the front for access to the upper starter motor bolt.

Also consider cutting the rear six inches or so off and joining it back together - this will aid tunnel removal in the future (not having to remove the handbrake).

Get the grommets/bungs before you cut holes.

Roger

Hi Roger.

Good thinking on the handbrake six inches. I like it.

The old fibre tunnel had various plates and bungs on it, that I am planning to reuse. The hole for the starter motor bolt is a great idea too.

Hi Mick, I'll have a hunt for a hanger but I don't think there is anything there. I was thinking of putting something on that rear gear box mounting plate and sort of dangling the pipe off it. (bit hazy thought process at the moment.)

Thanks fellas.

Dave

====

Hi

Is that doughnut-looking thing hanging down from the gearbox really a vibration-damper?

Dave

====

To locate the exhaust by link to gearbox mounting, you need 2 parts from TR4: bracket 130888 and clip 130890 - have a look at the Moss catalogue.

These I described in 1975 and the article and drawings (by Neil Revington) should be in the Technicalities CD.

And, yes, it's a vibration damper!

Ian Cornish

Hi Dave,

that steel lump hanging below the rear of the GB was put there on the TR4A (not sure if TR4 had them) to help remove some resonance/vibration at apprx 2800 rpm.

I removed mine and found no difference but logic suggests ST put it there for a reason.

Roger

Thank you.

I see the relevant exhaust bits in the catalogue.

I think I'll leave the vibration damper in place, and call it a flux capacitor.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the photos. I saw them on another post a short while ago, but couldn't quite figure it out. Now the tunnel cover is off it becomes plain! I will definitely be doing that.

How is it in the sunny south? We used to live near Camberley, it was a lot warmer and drier than this. I've played golf only twice in 2 months. Rubbish!

Dave

====