Upper ball joint

I bought a complete front suspension overhaul kit 2 years ago as part of my 4A restoration. I fitted the upper ball joint about year ago and since then the car has just been been moved around the garage whilst the rest of the restoration continued. I was finishing off the front suspension today when I noticed that the rubber boot had a large split in it. It has covered about 40 yards since I fitted it!!

I bought the kit from Rimmer and I have no doubt that they will replace it, but

1) Has anyone else had similar problems?

2) Have I installed it correctly? There is no grease nipple on it, but should I have greased the outside of the rubber?

A photo is attached

post-11991-0-17560300-1454186082_thumb.jpg

Edited by JPD

Thanks for the advice. I'll talk with Rimmer to see if they were experiencing problems at the time I bought these and try to understand if the ones they have now are any better. I find it amazing that this one split so easily. It didn't even have the weight of the engine on it until just before Christmas.

Its puzzling. Rotting rubber has been a regular thread on here for years. Items were OK when bought but split and perished a year or so after fitting, without the car turning a wheel. That short life means suppliers' own stock must be going off on their shelves. Are they routinely binning rotten rubber and - this the nub - ordering more of the same cr*p rubbish. And then selling it.

:angry:

Peter

Make sure that the ball joint doesnt bind in some positions, some of the cheaper ones will. I havent had any problems with TR Shop ones though the rubber problem has been affecting a lot, its mostly because they dont tend to use real rubber anymore!

Stuart.

I had this problem a couple of years back when fitting polbushes and new ball joints. I purchased polyurethane ones from Bulgaria they should be very durable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-UNIVERSAL-Tuning-Polyurethane-11-27-22-Track-Rod-End-and-Ball-Joint-Boots-/321969096167?hash=item4af6da85e7:g:3WkAAOSw9mFWH6wF

scan down the page a bit and find which size you want. I cannot remember exacly which ones i purchased for bot top and bottom

John