Wailing TR4a

I took my TR4a for a 20 mile spin today as it hasn't been used much in the past few months. Cruising at roughly 2700rpm in o/d 4th on the motorway, it let the most almighty wail which lasted roughly 90 seconds but felt like a lifetime. It scared the sh8t out of me. I flicked the o/d off, knocked the car out of gear, put the wipers off...no difference. Then it stopped as suddenly as it started. I am mystified. The alternator belt seems fine, so does the Kenlowe. Can't think what else it might be. Any ideas?.

Edited by Edmond

Check alt bearing could be ceasing at higher revs or check for dead pheasant in front grill!

+1 for the Speedo. They can sound like something possessed and it is intermittent - however it is usually accompanied by the needle waggling around erratically. (that was nearly typed and spell checked at erotically!) :ph34r:

Hmm - it could be the speedo cable or alternator bearing. It certainly sounded as if it was from somewhere in front of me.

If it is the alt bearing then the noise you hear is the fan belt slipping on the alt pulley as it stops turning. This happened to me with a dynamo and by the time I got out the car and lifted the bonnet when I restarted the engine the bearing had cooled down and there was no noise. A mile up the road at higher revs it returned, The belt had ruined the alloy pulley and it was by then bottoming in the grouve, not gripping and slipping even more. New Dynamo new pulley and new fanbelt fixed it. Managed to drive it home by slackening the belt and letting it slip with Dynamo bearly turning.

Chris

Did the tone of the 'wail' remain the same regardless of reducing road and engine speed, Edmund?

Yes, actually it did, that's what mystified me when I knocked it out of gear, backed off the accelerator etc. The road speed dropped slightly (I was on a downhill section) but the the wail remained constant. Not the speedo cable then?

I had the same problem but it was the Rev counter in my case. Once the noise started it continued until I turned the engine off. I disconnected the cable on the back of the Rev counter and tied it up behind the dash clear of all cables etc. before taking the car for a test drive, this eliminated the speedo from consideration as the noise did not reoccur. Eventually solved the problem with a few drops of light oil in the Rev counter, around the cable entry moving parts.

if Edmond knocked it out of gear and the wail remained the same, it cuts out quite a few items up the front of the car, which should have made the wail change with the reduced revs.

Leaves the diff and few more items at the back as suspects.

Wish I had the answer, but I don't. (Maybe the speedo blokes are on the right track)

Edited by littlejim

Yes, actually it did, that's what mystified me when I knocked it out of gear, backed off the accelerator etc. The road speed dropped slightly (I was on a downhill section) but the the wail remained constant. Not the speedo cable then?

My thinking might be wrong on this, but I'm always less concerned about odd noises if the note doesn't change with a change in road or engine speed. Also, if the sound went away and hasn't come back, that seems to me to be reassuring, although it would still be nice to know what it was. In your position I think I'd be tempted to do as John Thornton says above.

One other thought, check the rear brake shoe retainers are still in place, you can feel the head of the pin by laying under the back of the car. If one of the springs falls off it can jam between the shoe and drum and make a screeching noise. Then when you stop it can move and then no noise

Chris

Hi Ed

The video posted earlier is absolutely priceless showed it to her indoors but she wasn't that impressed.

Anyway to the problem in hand Ed do you have the Cowlings fitted on the back of your disks at the front sometimes a stone gets up between the Cowlings and the disk. This normally results in quite a high pitched squealing noise then as the disk wheres the stone away it falls out of its own accord leaving you wondering what was that noise

James