I saw a very good fit of speakers into a mock occasional seat... You could hardly tell they were there. I think others have used the panels that are used on a 6 that sit above either side of the gearbox tunnel just behind the radio.

........ Andy

I once had a mention on Film Night with Barry Norman - the local cinema was advertising the Who film in the paper as " Clodrophemia"

post-11421-0-19572900-1453731219_thumb.jpgI have a Pheonix. Sounds great as I heard it for the first time this weekend:-)

I am looking at putting the small square Bose Single Cube speakers in the upper footwells.

You can buy them cheap on eBay second hand - just need to look out for the good deals.

Right now it is a mad idea but it just may work and they sound amazing.

It maybe that the space around the tank would make a good base reflex and as you all know, you can hide a bass reflex and still get excellent performance from it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I used to have 2 speakers mounted in the rear panel and the rear of the speakers fitted in to the void each side of the tank. I thought that looked pretty ugly and ruins the lines of the interior personally.

You can see them in the picture attached.

Best

Paul

Only issue with a sound system in a convertible is that you have to crank the volume up to hear it when the roof is down. Increasing volume as you go faster, which is not entirely proportional to roadspeed.

Where to put the power amp?

The Mazda 'speakers in headrests' arrangement seems like a good option plus a boom box bass thing somewhere else.

Any comments?

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I knows its not a 4, but I have 4 speakers in Olde Sooty (3a)

• one in the radio housing sitting on the tunnel right in front of the gear lever
  • one facing down from the cubby (vibrates like hell so is balanced low just to fill in
  • and one each behind the seats

A quarter decent Alpine stereo feeds them via bluetooth from the iPhone but above 45 mph, even with the tin roof on, there is such a ca®cophony of sounds that nowt is audible. However, as speeds of 45mph are just a pipe dream in Lesser London or its orbital car park, it is rarely an issue.

I did think of getting one of these as they are simply to install, but in reality, with speakers not mounted in solid panels, there probably isn't much point as it is just likely to exaggerate the distortion.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-ktp-445_p-26445.htm

I know others have mounted speakers into a panel fabricated as the (forward facing) base of the rear seat (does 4's have a rear seat ?!)

Edited by McMuttley

Hi,

I did not want to put holes in the rear panel and I did not think that a decent pair of speakers would fit either side of the radio in a 4. What I did was make up a wooden box that fills the gap behind the driver/passenger seats and cover it with the same trim colour. That way the whole box acts as a bass box and the sound easily travels to head level. I think the speakers were 8x4 inch and I am very pleased with the volume I get without an amp.

Not for all I know but we do not need to adjust our seats and so the box always fits the space, and when stuff is on the back seat it does not block any speakers in the rear panel. Also, as there is no depth issue with the box I could get speakers with a larger magnet/coil

Mark

Edited by MKTR

On the topic of it needing to be louder the faster you go, I highly recommend mounting speakers in front of you, in the side panels below the dashboard. Here they are much more audible than mounted behind the seats. I made new kick panels with a 1 inch raised section for a low profile six inch speaker, then covered panel in carpet. Pretty much out of sight, no cutting of metal or expensive trim and good performance.

Hi Pete,

many many moons ago Sony did a nice radio that had a system whereby as te ambient noise increased so did the radio volume.

This would be neat in an open top as standing still at traffic lights with George Formby blasting out isn't cool.

Roger

The Mazda 'speakers in headrests' arrangement seems like a good option plus a boom box bass thing somewhere else.

Any comments?

Peter W

I have the MK1 high back seats with speakers. The original speakers are useless but I took these out and fitted two 4" Pioneer speakers in each headrest. Works quite well.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

post-11421-0-37193700-1454865131_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-39355900-1454865144_thumb.jpg

The Bose speakers worked out great. Really neat installation in the front footwells. Single bolt holds them in.

You can see more of them here: http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr4a-radio--speakers.html

I am using a period Motorola Radio with an iPod conversion. I use my iPhone and have fitted a charger in the glove box.

I have also fitted 2 mid-base speakers in the void between the tank and body. They are covered by the boot and the interior rear card and this acts as a bass reflex chamber of sorts.

The old radio gives it an old radio feel as it is mono and not stereo (I guess this could be sorted) sounds great listening to the old 60's tunes.

Best thing about this installation is that it is invisible and requires no real modifications to anything - (You don;t need the iPhone charger if you don't want one)

Best

Paul.

What about head phones?

with noise elimination

and intercom?

might work in a noisy car with the roof down

Michael

Illegal for road use I think you would find.

Stuart.

I've wondered about whether there's a due care and attention angle to that but isn't it OK in a motorcycle context and also deaf people are allowed to drive.

I was referring to full headphones, especially the noise cancelling type.

Stuart.