Rt4 front deck removal replacement query

Hi all another question with regards my tr4a. I'm not happy with the front deck panels so going to replace them. They look to be welded and possibly leaded to the main rear deck and what looks like tack welded inside the vehicle to the inner panel. Is this correct or am I missing something.

Hi all another question with regards my tr4a. I'm not happy with the front deck panels so going to replace them. They look to be welded and possibly leaded to the main rear deck and what looks like tack welded inside the vehicle to the inner panel. Is this correct or am I missing something.

They would normally be spot welded to the inner wing top, the join to the main deck would be spotted together too with possibly some lead around the join and they may be leaded over the front end where they meet with the top of the front face of the "B" post.

When fitting new ones I always lead the joint between them and the rear deck and then put the line of the joint back in with a file and lead the front end back in to suit the door gap.

I too have loads of pictures if required.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi all,

Attached a link to the part/s I am talking about (for sale on Ebay).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4-TR4A-TR5-TR6-PAIR-OF-FORWARD-DECK-SECTIONS-/351632766905?hash=item51def237b9:g:4IkAAOSwqrtWmQQ1

I will try to get some photos tonight of mine, unfortunately I dont believe they are worth saving. Yes mine look to be spot welded to the inner wing top. The left one is coming off this weekend.

I think I understand what you mean now Stuart, I assume you are just using a small round file to add the feature back in with regards to welding the forward deck to the rear deck are you drilling holes and using a spot weld?

Steve

No small triangular file to give a proper channel type line, for ward deck to rear deck is just done with a proper spot welder.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to remove the old front side deck panel from the car, just tried fitting the new one and it looks about 3mm too long. I shall pop the door back on just to see where everything sits etc but I am just wondering if this is because the vertical panel for next to the door was in the wrong place originally.

When I get home this afternoon I shall measure the lengths of both panels and compare.

Out of interest assuming I get it to fit properly can I ask what people are painting and coating the rear of panels like this with to prevent rust. I have been recommended painting panels with POR-15 for b surfaces.

Steve

The length has always been variable on them as was on the originals fitted to the cars, do not whatever you do try altering the "B" post face. They often dont fit nice with the rear deck front face edge and this is where you need to look as the swage ends need to fit better and the flange on the end to the deck flange sometimes needs a bit of adjustment. Make sure also if you are fitting a Surrey (Or plan to) that you reproduce exactly the hole and the captive nut (1/4" UNF ) for the front stud on the Surrey rear section fixing on the top face of the deck extension.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for letting me know about the 1/4" UNF nut. I have managed to re-create this feature on my panel. Also, spent some time over the weekend, nibbled some metal out the new panel which has allowed it to fit easier and tapped the end of the panel down. I believe I am now in a position to tack weld back in place.

Steve