TBH If you have all the adjustment correct and the cylinders slide properly in the back plates (check for wear indents on the back plates where the levers pivot) then you shouldnt really need them.

FWIW I cured all that by going to 10" rears on my solid axle 4a.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

TBH If you have all the adjustment correct and the cylinders slide properly in the back plates (check for wear indents on the back plates where the levers pivot) then you shouldnt really need them.

FWIW I cured all that by going to 10" rears on my solid axle 4a.

Stuart.

10" drums? I'll give it a good once over and see what adjustment there is. I know I greased the cylinders on the plates a year ago.

Solid axle.

OK, IRS axle is different because of the position of the pivot point.

And allow me this note: brake power = force x friction (not x the size of the surface)

Enjoy your saturday

Marco

Edited by Z320

OK, IRS axle is different because of the position of the pivot point.

And allow me this note: brake power = force x friction (not x the size of the surface)

Enjoy your saturday

Marco

Pivot point is the same on both as the solid axle has a forward facing bracket to pick up the cable outer mount the same as IRS cars.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

10" drums? I'll give it a good once over and see what adjustment there is. I know I greased the cylinders on the plates a year ago.

Check your back plates for a wear ridge where the handbrake lever pivots. If there is one (and there is on most by now) fill it with weld and then grind back to smooth as that also makes a lot of difference to how they work.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I know the solid axle in the TR4A-frame only from photos from books and never worked such a car.

So I could be wrong, sorry for that. But could you please add a photo of that detail here for me?

Thanks Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Stuart,

I know the solid axle in the TR4A-frame only from photos from books and never worked such a car.

So I could be wrong, sorry for that. But could you please add a photo of that detail here for me?

Thanks Marco

Best I can do.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-88288900-1506171337_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-57166500-1506171343_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stuart, same same but different.

Indeed it seem to me that it looks on your photos better than on my IRS axle.

I try to have a own look at that detail on a friends TR4A with solid axle.

And next year we plan to go for holiday to the Cornwall ????

Ciao Marco

I dont have the mounts on the axle tube for the cables to bolt to so I must have a TR4 axle.

Will it do any damage to the axle if I weld some fabricated brackets to the tube in situ?

Also interestingly I notice in the period photos the handbrake lever is at the front of the drum but mine like Stuarts is at the rear.

Edited by Britishbest

You can weld the brackets on safely but I would take the half shafts out while your doing it. My levers are at the front too, If yours are at the rear its because you have them in the TR4 position, you will need to move the back plates round.

Below picture taken from in front of the axle looking backwards.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-02000500-1506348278_thumb.jpg