TR4 bumper on TR4a

Another day another problem...............

Went to fit shiny new front bumper this morning, Gosh an easy job, until I got to putting on the overriders.

Quick as a flash I could see just by holding one up over it's mounting hole, something is amiss If I put them on there they will block out the indicators! Also no corresponding holes in the bumper bracket.

Before I drill a couple of extra holes in the right place in the shiny new (re chromed) bumpers I bought 2 years ago when I was even more naive, is there an option? I had planned to use a couple of extra shiny bolts to fill the "spare" holes.

Also sorry about this, but apart from the price is there any difference between 7" TR4 sealed beam units and TR4a units.......apart from the price?

Thanks David

Hello Alan

I had kept the original bumper (albeit in two halves) which have the correct holes in the right places as indicated by the only shiny bit on the bumpers, where the overiders originally fitted so I plan to use that as a template.

Hi Dave,

you are having problems.

The rear bumpers are the same but the front are different.

if it was me I would put your TR4 bumper up for sale and try and find a decent 4A bumper.

If you start cutting it about it will look like a cut/welded bumper.

Roger

Another day another problem...............

Also sorry about this, but apart from the price is there any difference between 7" TR4 sealed beam units and TR4a units.......apart from the price?

Thanks David

Why would you want to fit sealed beam units unless your not planning on driving after dark. H4 units with Osram Night Breaker bulbs is the way to go and TR4 units are the same as 4a standard 7" units.

Stuart.

David

I think confusion is reigning here - a TR4 bumper has the over-riders much closer together - I have just measured mine and there is 24.5 inches between centres there so they should be nowhere near your 4A indicators - I think you may have TR4 over-riders and not 4A ones which are much smaller.

The 4A over-riders are 3.75 inches inside the indicator, measuring from the centre of each so when you take the width of the over-rider into account, it is only just inside the indicator.

Hopefully the attached photo will help show this but bear in mind the bumper and over-rider are slightly bent in the photo.

You are welcome to come and have a look at this arrangement if it helps

cheers

Rich

post-10723-0-87979600-1448564506_thumb.jpg

I think I must be confusing the issue.

The "new" bumper, which I now know to be a TR4 bumper I bought two years ago, is a perfect unit which had just been rechromed, in to which I plan to drill two holes in in the correct place to match up with existing holes in the bumper brackets, the two "wrong for a TR4a" holes I plan to fill with new chrome bumper bolts, for which I will have to drill holes in the bumper bracket, So the net result will be only two new holes hiding under the overiders.

REF. the headlights, sorry when I said sealed beam I should have said simply 7" headlights, The ones I had removed are an odd couple which I would like to replace with two matching units. The old units had been converted to standard halogen bulbs, which I intend to replace with Nightbreakers.

What I could not understand was why some traders were indicating that there was a difference between TR4 and TR4a units. From what I could see they looked exactly the same?

Sorry about my confusing initial post. David

What I could not understand was why some traders were indicating that there was a difference between TR4 and TR4a units. From what I could see they looked exactly the same?

Perhaps the traders were offering the older tripod style headlights alongside the later sealed beam units.