Which Antifreeze?

Hi Steve,

I was forwarded an article from a member of the Rolls-Royce owners club that might be shortened to:

Do not use OAT inhibited coolant in a 20th century car;

IAT is blue in the uk but can be ethylene glycol or propylene glycol;

For various reasons propylene glycol is the much preferred;

The recommended product is Fernox Alphi 11 which is available from top quality plumbers merchants - the corrosion prevention properties substantially surpass the requirements of BS 6580 which makes it suitable for automotive use;

A 50% mixture is recommended;

Untreated water is corrosive and distilled water is the most corrosive.

The full article is available if needed.

What technical problems (not cost) have people found in using waterless coolants?

Regards

David

Evans waterless coolant.....big waste of money.

Caused no end of problems. Dreadful stuff.

Glad I went back to good old bluecol and water.

I don't like waterless coolants based on the chemistry and engineering. No practical experience, and unlikely ever to have any. Your personal experience, Crawfie, would be most useful -- I've never spoken with anyone who's actually used the stuff. Could you give us some details on your highlights and lowlights?

I'd love to be enlightened as to why distilled water is more corrosive than untreated water. What about deionised water?

There's a LOT of technical literature on corrosion mechanisms. I'm sure our resident academic will provide multiple good references to the electrochemistry involved.

As a start, here's one that may be relevant:

http://www.pqcorp.com/Portals/1/lit/report_12.pdf

I don't like waterless coolants based on the chemistry and engineering. No practical experience, and unlikely ever to have any. Your personal experience, Crawfie, would be most useful -- I've never spoken with anyone who's actually used the stuff. Could you give us some details on your highlights and lowlights?

Don

There is no gain,and wait till you try and drain the stuff :o

Don

There is no gain,and wait till you try and drain the stuff :o

I'd say worse than no gain -- finding a way to let my engine run hotter doesn't sound the least bit interesting.

There was looong thread about a year ago. And the link I posted above #27 should be enough to put anyone off waterless ( unless they plan to store their car in a museum for years )

Peter