Which Antifreeze?

Help with antifreeze needed please.

Just had a nice old-fashioned repair done to my original TR4 radiator by a gentleman craftsman from yesteryear and I must say I am very pleased with the result especially as some of the larger modern day companies quoted me up to three times what I was just charged. Nice to know these people are still out there if you can find them.

That takes me to the subject of this post. Now that I have a refurbished rad I need to buy some antifreeze and when I last bought some probably back in the seventies the choice as I remember was blue or pink. I have just had a look in the local Halfords where I was confronted by a vast array of antifreeze, none of which looked familiar or had any mention of being suitable for classic cars. So the question is which modern day antifreeze should I put in the TR4, as I said there are many to choose from including OAT, Silicate mixed, extreme and concentrated to name a few.

As always grateful for your views and knowledge.

Steve.b

Either pink OAT or traditional blue silicate can be used but a word of warning is in order.

Most likely your car will have been filled with blue antifreeze before. If changing to pink, all traces of blue must be flushed from the system (including the heater matrix) before filling with pink, as they are incompatible. The advantage of pink is long life, as much as 10 years I believe. Blue needs to be changed every 2 years as the anti-corrosion additives have a limited life.

Unless you can be sure of flushing out all the old antifreeze, stick with blue. However, I did a complete flush on my TR6 8 years ago and switched to pink. It's been fine ever since but probably needs changing soon.

One final thought... I've heard mixed feedback on waterless coolants and am not tempted to take the risk.

Nigel

Hi Steve,

the Halfords 'Silicate' AF is per their original stuff used a couple of years ago that was easy to understand.

I thought that the OAT was a No No for our old cars

You could go to your local car factor and get Bluecol etc.

I'm also not a fan of the waterless AF

Roger

Well I wish someone would decide what's the best one that Halfords sell as that's about all we can get Overhere,l have tried to get Bluecol but it don't seem available and having to Import it is way to expensive,please don't mention Evens Coolant.

Hi Niall,

Halfords AF with Silicate.

I tried looking at the Halfords web site but the silly thing asks for your reg and then tells you there are no results - you can't actually look at

the product range

Roger

PS - try this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-silicate-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5l

Edited by RogerH

URGENT !

today only (order on line) Frost have special offer for Bluecol, haven't compared the pricing so do that first.

http://www.frost.co.uk/bluecol-antifreeze-2-5-litres.html?utm_source=2015_11_25_MWO_M789&utm_campaign=2015_11_25_MWO_M789&utm_medium=email

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

Ebay does Bluecol at just a little more than Frost but post free.

having looked at a couple of adverts I see that Bluecol also do a Pink version NOT for classic cars - why not call it PinkcCol, olr RedCol, or OrangeCol but not pink Bluecol.

Roger