Newbie TR4A owner

Hello all, I have been hovering around the forums for awhile, finally took the plunge and paid up. There seems to be a wealth of information available on here.

Recently purchased a 1966 TR4A LHD which is in a reasonable condition, the engine runs really sweet and appears to have had some work done, though with no history at all it maybe wishful thinking on my part. Body work is in a fair condition, my intention is a complete rebuild of chassis and tub and convert to RHD. Rear section of chassis is not good at all and will require major surgery. A couple of pics pre collection.

No doubt I will need much assistance through what appears to be a very enthusiastic and helpful membership.

Regards to all

Paul, West Cornwallpost-13797-0-03671500-1447348048_thumb.jpegpost-13797-0-71425000-1447348103_thumb.jpeg

Hi Paul,

welcome to the forum.

Can you wield a spanner or will it be a paid for rebuild.

Taking a car apart can be quite frightening. But on the good side they are all repairable.

The local group down there is very good. You are also close to one of the best TR restorers in the country.

keep posting

Roger

Thank you Roger, for some years in my pastime I have been restoring classic bikes, mainly British and have been fancying another challenge.

Two years ago I took early retirement from work which was in the marine engineering sector (ships not boats) I ended up spending far too long in a office chair and longed to return to a more practical existence. Having bypass surgery also contributed to my decision.

My plan is to restore and not replace ( can't afford fancy prices anyway) I hate throwing things away, which in itself creates problems with a workshop full of things that may come in useful one day.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome to the forum and, of course, TR ownership.

Enjoy the whole experience - Stuart is not too far away and is a wealth of knowledge and if you need a workshop, he is one of the best..

Have fun.

I hate throwing things away

Good! That's the first rule of home restoration!

Well, maybe not the first, but it is important. Take plenty of photographs before/during/after dismantling. Label everything you remove in more detail than you think could possibly be necessary.

Roger is only partly correct - taking a car apart isn't nearly as frightening as putting it back together.

Pete

Hello Paul

And welcome, This forum is a treasure, no matter how daft questions may seem they are always answered with patience and good common sense.

Looks pretty reasonable form the pics. If I were starting again I'd still tackle 95% of it myself. But I would get the chassis sorted by CTM, in the end everything depends on the chassis being right.

As Pete says don't throw anything away, Bag it label it and stuff it in a box, may take hours to find when you need it, but you will need it if only for reference later on.

Even the bits you cut off with the angle grinder will give you clues as to how it goes back together, it's easy to think you will remember where it came from and how it works, but in my experience two years down the line it's easy to forget.

In short it's compulsive and great fun,

Good luck David.

Welcome Paul, if you need any help then come up and see us we are only up at Grampound Rd . You would also be very welcome to join us at club nights. Is your car an IRS or like mine the solid axle variant?

Stuart.

Thanks all for your welcome, in answer to Stuart it's like yours not the IRS, when buying the seller informed me it was definitely the IRS model, travelled with a trailer 370 miles and discovered he was wrong, almost drove home with an empty trailer but thought that it really makes very little difference to me and the rest of it was so reasonable, it then followed me home.

I have probably been in your company at the meeting night Stuart as I'm also an Ariel club member, as you know we share the first Tuesday at the same venue. There's a thought, tow bar for the Ariels!

May well take you up on your offer Stuart, have been months gathering info but being able to view and discuss a problem is so helpful.

Will be collecting banana boxes I think.

Cheers

Paul

Paul, set up right the non IRS version is a lot more predictable and I personally prefer it. We have moved our meetings up to The Plume Of Feathers at Mitchell now, still first Tuesday of the month.

Stuart.

Paul. You lucky man. Stuart is just around the corner.

That is they best reason to live in Cornwall:-)

Best

Paul

Paul,

One more thing. You may need one of these very rare items.

You will need to move quick though as they are hens teeth.

Best

Paul.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR4A-dash-pad-lower-left-for-RHD-car-/281848700703?hash=item419f7ddf1f:g:iIoAAOSwwbdWO1C1

Like the pun Roger, I will watch it, has 8 days to go, thanks for the info Paul.

Thanks agaim

Paul

Paul. I would send the seller a message and ask him what he wants for it. Tell him about your project and get a deal struck. Well before auction end:-) Just a tip:-)

Best

Paul.

Not streetwise already been sold and removed, also a RH dash panel.

Will need to speed up.

Thanks anyway

Paul

Hi Paul.

They never last more than a few seconds on eBay.

I have 2 at a trimmers right now. We are using the best one but I will have a spare that could be available for a small fee. Would be useable if recovered etc?

If you or anyone else is interested let me know via a PM as it would be better it went to a good home than sat on a shelf in my workshop. I am sure my trimmer would also retrim it too for a fee.

Best

Paul.

Not streetwise already been sold and removed, also a RH dash panel.

Will need to speed up.

Thanks anyway

Paul

Hi Paul you could ask this chap Ive bought some spares of him and he's well known

Cheers

Dave. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131650763087?clk_rvr_id=929646423984&item=131650763087&rmvSB=true

Paul.

It appears to be back on eBay:

Yes but the seller wants to let the auction run, I tried.

Did you get my PM

Paul J

Edited by Paul J

Hi Paul yes back on but wants to let auction run. Did you get my pm

Paul J

Hi Paul, Yes got your PM and glad you are now the owner of my spare grab handle:-)

The eBay one apparently went for £112??

You can see the new crash pad and plinth supplied by the TR shop

and our retired grab handle here:

http://tr4a.weebly.com/dashboard-triumph-tr4a.html