The 4A Engine Rebuild

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who cares about the paint, what about poor old me. :wacko:

I have a cunning plan that involves a vacuum cleaner, a cricket bat and a water vole. :blink:

Not sure what I will do with the bat and the Vole but the vacuum cleaner will be handy. B)

Roger

Hi Folks,

I think I must be crackers.

I decided to attack the wing today. Gluing down a layer of 2K filler/primer.

Firstly fill up the shed with all the equipment :unsure:

TRy and get the wing in there :blink::blink:

TRy and get me in there :wacko::wacko::wacko:

There is not a great deal of room to do acrobatics or indeed breathing. Stuart said it wouldn;t be big enough - huh, what does he know (Quite a lot actually)

Anyway by putting stuff out of the way and a general tidy up I can get to all sides of the wing (the bonnet may be an interesting task).

Warming the shed was easy. After a few minutes of heater I had to turn it off.

The primer went down well (I hope the glue sticks) and it is now drying.

Being remote from the garage where the compressor lives is a bit awkward as I need to keep an eye on the air pressure.

Cleaning the tools is/was fun due to the lack of spaciousnessnocity.

For my next attempt (the top coat) I will prepare and clean the paint/gun in the garage. The will give a bit more room.

More fun tomorrow.

Room

I hope you have another water trap in the line where it gets to the shed or you will be suffering micro blisters in the paint soon Roger. Long runs of air lines especially ones that go through areas of temperature change will suffer from condensate.

Stuart.

Hope not too late, but you might consider Dave Connitt's idea of putting a coiling coil in the air circuit to make sure you get rid of as much moisture from the air to the paint gun as possible.

The picture is of my set-up.

In Ohio's winter, Dave put ice cubes in the box with the coiling coil inside. I just used water, as the canberra climate isn't as extreme. The coiling coil is before the second filter.

compressor.jpg

PS: water does gather in the second filter. Empty before each spray gun full.

Edited by littlejim
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

been very busy the last couple of weeks but not a lot done. I'm still waiting for the engine to come home - end of Feb now.

I note a little bit of wear in the steering column bushes so decided to replace then (very foolish).

I ordered a pair of the Revington ones.

They arrived today so I thought I would pop them in :o - easier said than done.

I've fitted these before and had little problem. These are being right little bu99ers.

The instruction states that they can be inserted with finger pressure Ho Ho Ho.

I have knocked up a piece of studding to draw them in.

I have put a gentle bevel on the entrance to the tube

And I have trimmed the front of the two pips so they feed in easily.

When I start to draw then in The outer rubber rides over the inner plastic body.

After apprx 1 1/2 hours I have got the bush into the tube - not fully drawn in though and it has gone tight.

After lunch I think I will bash it with a hammer before getting the angle grinder put - aaarrrrgggghhhhhh

Roger

Hi Folks,

been very busy the last couple of weeks but not a lot done. I'm still waiting for the engine to come home - end of Feb now.

I note a little bit of wear in the steering column bushes so decided to replace then (very foolish).

I ordered a pair of the Revington ones.

They arrived today so I thought I would pop them in :o - easier said than done.

I've fitted these before and had little problem. These are being right little bu99ers.

The instruction states that they can be inserted with finger pressure Ho Ho Ho.

I have knocked up a piece of studding to draw them in.

I have put a gentle bevel on the entrance to the tube

And I have trimmed the front of the two pips so they feed in easily.

When I start to draw then in The outer rubber rides over the inner plastic body.

After apprx 1 1/2 hours I have got the bush into the tube - not fully drawn in though and it has gone tight.

After lunch I think I will bash it with a hammer before getting the angle grinder put - aaarrrrgggghhhhhh

Roger

Roger - I found that a bit of 22mm copper central heating pipe was just the right size to use as a drift, albeit not too brutally, when the column was in place - why? Because the top bush moved and came up inside the outer column and I didn't want to remove the inner column - would it help if you tried something like this with the inner column inside the outer as a guide?

Cheers

Rich

I dont know which bushes your talking but could you put washing up liquid on them to aid sliding into place?

Also, how did the painting go? Did you say you used 2 pack in the end or was it cellulose? I have some panels on my car that I want to repaint in cellulose; thus I am curious.

Steve