Idle thoughts (of an idle fellow) on balance

I noticed when jacking my rolling chassis up with the jack centrally placed on the front cross member that the nearside wheel rose more that the offside. Then I looked at the engine and notoced how much more therev is on the offside - alternator, manifolds, starter. That's the side we sit on as well (unless of course for the unfortunates who dwell furth of Britain)

Any comments on how this effects driving?

Unless you race a 500 kg single seater race car...buqqer all.

I did "corner weight" my race TRs on the basis of maximising whatever small advantage I could, but that encompassed altering the suspension and tyre pressures measuring and maximising the tyre temperatures across the tyre for each corner and individual race track also ! I also raced for 10 years on a variety of wheels including original magnesium Minilites and couldn't tell the difference on handling regarding reduced "unsprung weight" on the corners with them.

On the basis that we drive 50 or 60 year old cars that have crude suspension I think that ensuring all components are as originally designed without seizing up or excess play in them is as much as you can do. Of course if you want to go into the whole hog of various "bling" or bigger brakes discs etc because you enjoy it then spend away.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Ray,

worrying about a small imbalance of the engine lump will play on your mind and you will not be able to sleep tonight.

Simply put the jack a little to the left and all will be well.

You could of course concern yourself about the miniscus in the washer bottle. Should it be there or should one add a wetting agent.

Or more importantly do you use air or nitrogen in the tyres - I like the idea of helium to make them lighter.

Roger (being silly again)

Ray,

You have a PM, go to your name at the top of this page and click on the little triangle to the right, then select Personal Message and have a read.

Mick Richards