Removing gearbox tunnel

Hi All,

I am thinking of removing the gearbox tunnel to make access points for the o/d solenoid & especially the oil level/filler plug. Not knowing what the previous owner has done underneath the carpet, can somebody who has done this tell me what is involved? Is it just a matter of removing the seats then carpets to get to screws holding on the cover?

Thanks.

If you can do it insitu then as Neil has stated you can simply remove the pax seat and roll up the carpet. Cut holes into tunnel carefully.

If you need to remove the tunnel then the centre 'H' frame support needs to come out with all the various controls to fiddle with.

Roger

Hi Monty ~

If you PM me your eMail address I'll send you phot's of how I provided access panels

in the g/box tunnel of my TR3A. Well worth doing, believe me!

Tom.

Tom, I think you will already have it as you kindly forwarded me details of the rear oil seal conversion a week or to ago.

Cheers.

You need to only remove the passenger seat and gear lever.

Will I not need to also remove drivers seat to get to any retaining screws?

If you decide to take the cover out the screws should be hex bolts with little shaped plates acting as washers holding the cover down, it's rather tedious undoing all the bolts, but made much speedier using a suitable 3/8" socket and drill adaptor in a power screwdriver or small, reversible electric drill. As Roger says, you have to disconnect the switches and heater controls etc and remove the 'H' frame first.

Cheers Rob

Just a thought! Can access holes be put into the cover whilst in situ after pulling back necessary carpeting?

Cheers.

Hi Monty,

see post #3 - it can be done insitu but the choice is yours.

If you have a plastic tunnel then you can cut it easily with a small dril then a shapr knife.

Whilst you are at it remove the drivers seat and put an access hole in for the speedo angle drive.

Roger

The solenoid is almost shrouded by the H frame legs, so measure carefully for this panel. If your carpet goes in one piece between the legs and the tunnel I think it could be difficult to pull it back far enough to make or use a solenoid access panel without at least loosening the H frame.

Mike

Wonderful! After pulling back the carpet, armed with cutter & ready to get to work on the tunnel cover, found the previous kind owner had already done it! Now I can get to check my oil level & top up just like my old MGC. Makes you wonder why Triumph didn't help us all those years ago & do the job then! Guess cutting a hole & supplying rubber grommet added to cost!

My 1965 TR4A had access plates fitted on both sides, were well shaped of fairly heavy gauge metal and presumably original. I think the right-hand one with a bulge to clear the speedo cable ended up on Lynda's TR4A (MEL393F - long since sold to 'Norfolkjohn') which had a plastic tunnel fitted by the previous owner.

On the original fibre board tunnel covers there was access panels but the repro plastic/fibreglass ones dont have them unfortunately.

Stuart.

Hi I cut a hole for the gearbox filler/level on the left handside, question is I really need a 7/16 square socket to get the plug out and back, as I still need to use a spanner to lossen from underneith, which is defeating the object of my lazeyness.

I searched for a 7/16 square socket on the web, either 1/2 or 3/8 drive and looked at the shows this summer, but can find nothing.

Does anybody know where or if such a thing exists and where I can get one. I can't be the first person to think of they must exist.

only other option is to make a box socket from some steel tube.

Any help gratefully received.

Mark

Hi Mark,

you could weld a big nut on the square end.

Or you could use an 8 or 12 point socket http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X7%2F16+square+socket.TRS0&_nkw=7%2F16+square+socket&_sacat=0

There was a thread on here that gave a square (4 point socket) - on ebay I think.

Roger

if you went for a 8 or 12 point socket then it would need to be bigger than 7/16af - probably 17/32af. (0.530"

Edited by RogerH