TR6 Original Wing Mirror

Hi,

I have a 1974 TR6 in Mimosa Yellow and I am struggling to find a replacement N/S wing mirror for it. Most TR6's seem to have chrome wing mirrors, however mine has black plastic mirrors which I believe to be original to the vehicle. The car is an Ex-Press from the factory so I don't know if the wing mirrors are the standard type for its year or are different?

I ordered a new set of mirrors however they were the TEX type which require new holes being drilled in the door skin, something I am not prepared to do.

Can you still get hold of the original black plastic type? Or are they non existent and is fitting the aftermarket version the only way to go?

Attached is a picture of the car.

Any help would be great.

post-13649-0-09986500-1441287709_thumb.jpg

When I bought my TR it had mirrors as shown in last post, but I found every time I passed the car in the garage I knocked them out of alignment.

End result was that I fitted streamlined ones, they look good and do not get knocked out of position.

I have kept the original ones as may re-fit them some time

Hi,

The press photos of your TR6 in the Thoroughbred & Classic Cars article of January 1975 show your TR6 with a Chrome / Stainless mirror on the drivers door. It is certainly different to the ones in your image and is mounted further forward and doesn't look like a standard Tex mirror. Apologies for the poor scan but the copy article I have is not in the best of condition.

cheers

Derek

img093%202_zps0zngbuu2.jpg

Hi Dereck on your document this mirror look like the one for the TR5 (Shape as per the grill badge TR5 or upside down TR250).

Regards

Hi Dereck on your document this mirror look like the one for the TR5 (Shape as per the grill badge TR5 or upside down TR250).

Regards

I don't think it is the TR5/250 item as that has a small round base.

Graeme

I don't think it is the TR5/250 item as that has a small round base.

Graeme

Yes you are correct.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks Derek, I wondered why I could not find a replacement! I have a whole box of history with the car with various magazine articles, so I will need to have a look through and see if I can work out when they were changed!

Please can you let me know what mirrors I should buy to match the original ones on the magazine kindly provided by Derek?

Many thanks

Oliver

Oliver,

Looks like a Wingard swan arm mirror as fitted to some Stags in period. There is a left side one on eBay at present.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-TRIUMPH-STAG-L-H-DOOR-MIRROR-PASSENGER-DOOR-WINGARD-SWAN-ARM-/271971191591?hash=item3f52bf0b27

regards

Derek​

Watch the Gum Ball Rally Movie!...

Actually I recently saw the perfect answer to rear view mirrors on an AC Cobra...the owner had stuck self adhesive mirrors to both inside upper corners of his windshield ! ....Perfect!!!! 3 mirrors in a row, and no unsightly, unaerodynamic, flycatching external apendages that require holes being drilled in your door tops!

Edited by Denis

Interesting photo Saffrontr as it looks like the article from 1975 shows a second bonnet release, something I've just done and known about for 40 years.

Cant see it meself.

tuart.

Well Hawkeye you must have better eyesight than any of us then! Ive magnified it as far as it will go and I cant.

Stuart.

looking at the press photo, I wonder if it is a Tex mirror ? It looks a bit like an Austin 1100 or Mini mirror

link for a mini spares- they have lots of Tex mirrors listed i.e. "short arm" etc

regards

Matt

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Body/Windows/Glass/M16006.aspx?030901&ReturnUrl=/shop/classic/grilles,~brightwork/mirrors.aspx|Back%20to%20shop