rocker cover pressurised

Does it have a breather tube from the side of the cover? If not and depending if its a 4 or 4a engine does the block have a breather?

Stuart.

Sorting the oil spitting from the cover is just bodging.

You need to know why it's pressurising.

Piston blow-by?

John

Agreed rocker cover shouldn't pressurise. As said there should be some sort of breather - is it there and if it is, is it blocked. A catch tank doesn't address the problem, merely masks it <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Piston blow by - as mentioned above - time for a rebuild.

I would have thought the reason is no breather on the rocker cover. Put back the awful closed circuit system or breath into a Racetorations or TR Enterprises catch tank. The engine needs to breathe from block & rocker cover, in my experience.

Cheers.

Phil,

You say you've only recently fitted the Alloy rocker cover, was the engine breathing when it had the tin rocker cover on ? and if not did you have any sort of rocker cover breather either into a valve or rebreathing through the carbs into the engine.

Mick Rchards

I have also had this problem for a while and talked to Steve Hall of TR Enterprises about it at Malvern. I had fitted a catch tank but as other have said this only masks the problem. I was also pushing oil out of the dip stick and rear crankshaft seal as I have no breather on the crankcase. TRE do a breather kit that replaces the mechanical fuel pump but then of course you need to fit an electric pump. If you already have a breather I am suprised you have a pressurisation problem at the top.

It can only be caused by piston blow-by which can be because your pistons/ rings are worn, you have a broken ring or as in my case you did not run the engine in after a rebuild.

A compression test will show if you have a problem on just one pot in which case you probably have a broken ring.

more than 1 pot down probably shows a worn engine. In my case I had good compression on all 4 which was baffling.

Steve's view is that in the 5000 or so miles that I have done since the rebuild the liners have become glazed and the rings are not properly bedded in.

The solution is to run for 500-1000 miles with a running in oil but not to 'cruise' at more than 3000 revs during the run in. Short bursts above that are not a problem.

Hope this helps

If there is a breather that works correct somewhere at the engine

and there is a problem with inside pressure the engine is damaged or worn.

Something has to be done sooner or later where in addition the problem is

that in most cases the modern ring development did not find its way into the

4 cylinder engines. Some big bore kits have smaller rings and 3 piece oil rings.

Also hypereutectic pistons with much small bore to piston clearance are unknown.

So to some extend the blowby belongs to the TR4 but on the other hand when it

increases it reaches much earlier than a modern car acceptable limits.

To avoid those problems at my V8 where more than two of the biggest TR4 engines

blow by into one crankcase I used the Total Seal rings. They improve significantly

but I do not know if they do that for TR4 engines.

http://www.totalseal.com/

i did away with the PCV and added a small K&N type filter on the rocker cover and another one at the fuel pump location. It breathes, stinks but doesn't leak, at least not from there. As for any TR if it breathes it leaks, so to speak...

Edited by Geko

The solution is to run for 500-1000 miles with a running in oil but not to 'cruise' at more than 3000 revs during the run in. Short bursts above that are not a problem.

Hope this helps

Suggest accelerating hard in as high a gear as possible without 'bogging down', then 'coast-down' with closed throttle.

And doing it repeatedly, and as often as possible.

The first forces the rings against the bores, and the second makes the vacuum as high as possible, to suck oil up into the bores to keep the rings lubricated.

Should be done on first run after new engine start-up, but could be useful now too.

John

The standard engine has a large 1" diameter breather in the block and the original flame trap from the rocker. If these or an equivalent size breather is not available the engine will blow out oil all over the place. I tried a smaller breather from the block to a catch tank and it blew oil out - when I replaced it with a 1"plus tube to the catch tank it stopped blowing oil out. Don't forget the flame trap has an element of vacuum as well from the intake manifold.

Hence the advice to get big enough breathers. I suspect the ID of the vent in the ally rocker covers is not large enough

Michael

Another Point may be the run of the hoses from block to the catch tank.

Recently I relocated the hose to run down, then up to to tank, and the tank filled with oil.

It should run upwards, so that condensate can drip back into the sump.

John