What, me worry?

YES ! I am scared to just drop the clutch, for fear of snapping a drive shaft.

This is based on doing just that 40 years ago too many times. My CR 6 is not high powered (100bhp at 4000 at the wheels), but in 5 years of ownership I have never just dropped the clutch.

I think the modern tyres would just be too much for the driveshafts to cope with.

Is my worry justified?

I wouldn't worry

..........the only parts that will suffer will be: driveshaft splines and UJs, front diff hanger, diff chassis pins, diff CWP, propshaft UJ, gearbox layshaft, first gear cogs. And maybe the flywheel/crank bolts.

The engine power is immaterial. Its the kinetic energy in the rotating mass of crankshaft/flywheel at 4000rpm that will do the damage when suddenly converted to torque.

Peter

Back in the 1970's I did several Sprints where I did do numerous 5000 rpm, drop the clutch, standing starts...and can report I never broke a drive shaft or a UJ! I did however bald one rear tyre, take two and a half teeth off of the Crown Wheel, and mashed the Trust Washer flat and it fell out!

But, it is a fact that modern Tyres are far superior in terms of grip than the original period spec tyres 40 odd years ago, so maybe it's wise not to do a full 'racing' standing start, unless of course your TR is a modified race spec car, where of course it's all part of the wear and tear of the racing game!

Edited by Denis

Wheel spin is as bad as clutch slip.

"Dropping" the clutch isn't a good idea - feed it in as fast as possible without either and you don't waste energy in smoke and failures.

John

PS Smoke below IS from wheel spin, but I was taking a hairpin at Crystal Palace!

Edited by john.r.davies

I had a TR2 in 1970 (wish I'd kept it!). Spinning wheels was easy with the tyres that were not new when I got the car. I think they were Michelin X circa 1960.

I did get to Marseilles and back, I sold the car for £120 in 1971 and bought a Mini.

I have a Saab 900 Turbo clutch in my 6 now (thanks Guy) and it takes all the stick I can give it (saves the rest of the drive train), but I would still love to try a really fast standinging start, but I dare not.

Edited by Prefect

Why the hell not ? we build them, we break them, we mend them it's the circle of life (or was that Disney ?).

Drop the clutch and give it the beans, the science says that you need approx. 15% wheelspin for optimum takeoff which allows the engine to remain on cam and maintain acceleration.

Mick Richards