Alternator misalignment

Got my car back from its engine rebuild tonight. Very happy overall.

Two small issues

1. Alternator is not aligned properly with crank pulley and water pump pulley and is chewing up the belt and screaming at me. Also low on charge because of the slipping

2. Stuttering at take off

For the alternator the alignment seems set by the bolt and spacer through the engine front plate and short of bending the bolt, shaving the face of the spacer or trying to bend the engine plate slightly (difficult I suspect looking at the thickness of it) does anyone have a preferred way of adjusting the alignment

Suggestions welcome

Graze

Got my car back from its engine rebuild tonight. Very happy overall.

Two small issues

1. Alternator is not aligned properly with crank pulley and water pump pulley and is chewing up the belt and screaming at me. Also low on charge because of the slipping

2. Stuttering at take off

For the alternator the alignment seems set by the bolt and spacer through the engine front plate and short of bending the bolt, shaving the face of the spacer or trying to bend the engine plate slightly (difficult I suspect looking at the thickness of it) does anyone have a preferred way of adjusting the alignment

Suggestions welcome

Graze

Take it back & get them to do the job properly!

Monty, Pete

Not that easy to take it back

The old guy who did it for me has terminal cancer and this will be one of his last jobs

He has done a great job on the motor build but really struggled to get it back together and I'll have to do the fine tuning

Graze

Monty, Pete

Not that easy to take it back

The old guy who did it for me has terminal cancer and this will be one of his last jobs

He has done a great job on the motor build but really struggled to get it back together and I'll have to do the fine tuning

Graze

Sorry Graze, that is a shame but good luck @ sorting it out.

Cheers.

All good Monty

Great Guy and has taught me a lot - and it has taken 5 months, first 2 motor out and re built, last three patiently waiting for him - only able to do an hour or two each day, but he wanted to get it running for me

It revs sensationally and will be very quick, just need to sort the idel and the alternator

Graze

Hello Graze, I've done a couple of alternator conversions recently and although I had to do some work to get the pulley exactly in the right place (in terms of how far forwards/backwards) there really shouldn't be a problem with the actual alignment, the attachment to the bracket and engine plate at the front should be considered a 'fixed' point and my gut feeling is that there is something amiss with the rear mounting which depending on how it's been done could cause the complete unit to twist at an angle.

John

The alternator which was on the car is a Suzuki one and only has one fixing at the engine plate and one on the adjustable arm. It doesn't connect to the bracket for the generator rear fixing - hence its ability to twistvslightly.

I have bushed the hole in the alternator to make it a tight fit and milled the front of the bush which attaches to the engine plate so it is true and that has helped as they were slowing it to twist when tightened. I still need to mill about 1mm of the bush and that should do it

Thanks

Graze

On assembling my narrow belt/alternator conversion I found the alternator was too far forward. This was due to the bracket. This was supposedly the same as the original dynamo's. And so it was on the inside dimensions, but as it had been made from thicker metal it was oversize on the outside. Easy to fix, frustrating to find.

Perhaps the same /similar for you.

Mike

Hi Graze.

Check out http://tr4a.weebly.com/tr4a-ancillaries-restoration.html.

A little down the page you will see our solution to the problem.

Lots of pictures.

Basically there were so many worn areas in the bracket and the bolts etc it resulted in the really bad alignment.

We bought a new bracket (This needs to be angle grinded down to fit properly) and new bolts and it fixed it a treat.

Check out the pics and text.

Hope it helps.

Paul.

Thanks Paul

Great photos, similar problem to mine but I can't get a rear fixing for the alternator

If milling 1mm off doesn't fix it I might need another alternator

Graze

Sounds drastic, We went for the dynomator that looks like the old dynamo.

The benefit was that it is meant to fit really easily but it didn't.

Took loads of messing until we got rig of the old bracket and bolts etc.

The casing on them can also crack I have heard if you tighten it up too much.

Good luck graze with your milling.

Got 0.5mm milled of the mounting bush and alignment is much better. Instead of belt slipping and screeching and only producing 11volts it's back up tn13 volts except still screeches at high revs so more to do.

Then I found a pinhole fuel leak in the pipe across the rear of the engine so have now fixed that (thanks to Thursday late night shopping)

Hopefully try and get the carbines tuned a bit better Friday afternoon

Graze

Managed to fettle the alternator and a new belt has it running properly, have done my best on tuning and balancing the strombergs thanks to a Zenith Technical book I purchased from the forum and it's running a little better so I'm game to take it on a club drive tomorrow. Let's hope everything is ok. Then it's booked for a dyno day next Friday so from there hopefully she'll be running 100%

Graze

Stuart

Just running it in on the Strombergs for 500-1000 miles and sorting out the little niggles.

Then the mikunis

Will be interesting to get it Dyno tested with the strombergs then with the Mikunis too and compare

Graze