HERE IS A PDF OF THE WORKSHOP MANUAL

Hi Guys,

I have a TR4 & A Workshop manual in PDF format that is proving to be invaluable for everything from Torque settings to oils and general maintenance guidance.

I keep this on an old computer in the garage with an large monitor so can call up pages when I need them.

It is too large a file for this TR Forum site that has a max of 1.95MB so if you want it PM me with your email.

Regards

Charles

It's the 21st Century PeteT :P love it or hate it its here.........ha ha

I have most of the S-T documents for the sidescreens on my iPad. Not only do they go to the garage with me, they go underbonnet, too!

Yikes 27 requests in 2 hours, forgot how big this register is.

I have sent a copy to the Press office (at their request) so they can include it in their Technical papers.

Charles

No idea Alan, legally I would imagine the point to be moot since copyright for an original 'Triumph' Work Manual must now be void if that same document is available to the general public via the internet?

Edited by cotswold

I keep all of my stuff in cloud storage so it is accessible from anywhere and I have a Windows tablet dedicated to the garage wrapped in plastic wrap to protect it from my grubby fingers. Once I get the TR3 finished I'm going to clean up the garage and put a 32 inch monitor on the wall to use as a remote display for the tablet.

Really not sure about the legality of sharing any of these scanned manuals but I hope that due to our small community that we are well under the radar.

Stan

Moss reprints and sells this manual. It seems possible they own the copyright.

Does Moss show as the publisher? That would surprise me, frankly. I thought they just sold copies.

Amazon seems to think Brooklands Books does it.

http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Tr4A-Official-Workshop-Manuals/dp/0948207957

And here, on the Brooklands website.

http://brooklandsbooks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=12_162_775

The original has no copyright notice, although that's not strictly required. It's online from many, many sources.

Back in the 1970s many of these factory manuals were available from Robert Bentley, Inc. in Cambridge, Mass, and over here are often called the Bentley books. My copy of the Bentley TR2 & TR3 drivers instruction book and service instruction manual is copyrighted 1976 Robert Bentley, Inc. (I've had it since 1981). There's a comment in the preface that these were produced to meet a need for new copies of increasingly rare originals, but no discussion of factory sanction for Bentley or transfer of copyright.

cv_x125.jpg

In fact, this publication is still available from Bentley.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/triumph/repair-information/the-complete-official-triumph-tr2-tr3-1953-1961.html

UK copyright law is clear. The originator has copyright.

Duration of copyright

The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;

For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), then the duration will be 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.

An author in employment results in the company owning copyright.

Like all these things, it's a problem if you want it to be.

It is perfectly apparent that Charles offered to help his mates - there was no gain or personal benefit to him.

Whether he infringed copyright or not is a moot point but it is highly unlikely the author can prove 'loss.'

If the TR Register were to sell them on the website, that would clearly be completely different.

If the TR Register offers them as a free download on the website, somebody has checked the legality.

From previous experience with Copyright Law and Licencing I would suggest that the Office check the details carefully.

IF these manuals are no longer under copyright protection then they should be made available as a valuable resource to all,on the members only section of the website.

Ok ok I give up! I will not pass on any more copies in case it's some infringement. In my defence m'lord I only passed on what was freely available in the public domain and boy am I grateful that this was not a USA publication or I would have to move to Russia or join Julian at the Embassy

Well it was a kind thought Charles!

I Googled for a workshop manual for a TR3 and downloaded it but following the reaction on this thread (and the thought of sharing the Ecuadorian Embassy's boot room with Julian I won't tell anyone the link! :rolleyes:

Ok ok I give up! I will not pass on any more copies in case it's some infringement. In my defence m'lord I only passed on what was freely available in the public domain and boy am I grateful that this was not a USA publication or I would have to move to Russia or join Julian at the Embassy

This question comes up often Charles and we never get to the bottom of it so its good to revisit it from time to time in case there is new information. The reality is that most of the factory and even many of the aftermarket manuals have been scanned in and broadly shared by now and it is likely that only someone blatantly trying to profit from protected material would be pursued.

Stan

I agree Stan, frankly unless one publishes the material and sells it for profit it would not be economical or practical to pursue an individual for copyright infringement without discovery of who originally put the material in the public domain. I downloaded it from a German blog site that is of course available internationally on the Internet. Dissemination electronically within our small group for free doesn't constitute a significant financial loss for anyone as the printed and bound version sells for under £30 on Amazon.

Charles

That is a manual I don't have on my site so I'll be after a copy.

I have loads of manuals and tuning guides etc for the TR4A and few others here:

http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr-pdf-downloads.html

Hope they are of use to you all.

Best.

Paul.