'Barn Find' TR4A - fancy a challenge?

Only for the brave, but somehow I think this one has had it...........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1966-Triumph-TR4a-Barn-Find-/141751485036?hash=item21010c026c

"This little TR4a is a perfect restoration opportunity for somebody who would like a blank canvas to start from. She has never been welded, and never been previously restored. She has just been carefully and peacefully left to fuse with nature on a farm, possibly making her the most eco-friendly and green TR4a on the market today…J"

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Possibly bidding for any parts and the ID....the barn certainly looks better than the car !

Have a good tr day chaps, the sun is out .

Conrad.

All

Correct me if I am wrong, but this will need (and I am generalising here);

- new chassis

- all new panels

- at the very least completely rebuilt suspension and steering

Then there is the engine

Taking into account the reported current attitude of the DVLA regarding rebuilt 'historic' cars, isn't this either a future 'Q' plate or as suggested, just for parts?

Edited by wjgco

Taking into account the reported current attitude of the DVLA regarding rebuilt 'historic' cars, isn't this either a future 'Q' plate or as suggested, just for parts?

This car can be genuinely restored using all newly sourced parts.

There are plenty of classic cars that have been restored from worse places, depending on the value of the finished product.

In this case, there is every chance the engine, gearbox and differential are original to the car with stamped numbers to prove it, in which case the car is as genuinely 'matching numbers' as any TR can ever be. Couple that with a genuine 'one owner' history backed up by other paperwork and you have a very rare car indeed. Most people don't realise there were only about 1,000 UK 4A's ever made.

The problems start when somebody has a TR4A with no provenance or from the US, but in much better condition, and just nicks the VIN tag and the paperwork.

As a Registrar I would fully support the former, and abhor the latter.

Good job I only look after Italias :):)

Edited by Paul Harvey

This car can be genuinely restored using all newly sourced parts.

There are plenty of classic cars that have been restored from worse places, depending on the value of the finished product.

In this case, there is every chance the engine, gearbox and differential are original to the car with stamped numbers to prove it, in which case the car is as genuinely 'matching numbers' as any TR can ever be. Couple that with a genuine 'one owner' history backed up by other paperwork and you have a very rare car indeed. Most people don't realise there were only about 1,000 UK 4A's ever made.

The problems start when somebody has a TR4A with no provenance or from the US, but in much better condition, and just nicks the VIN tag and the paperwork.

As a Registrar I would fully support the former, and abhor the latter.

Good job I only look after Italias :):)

Paul

+1 totally pi!!! me off when I see it, however you need to remember new parts do not fit.I have just finished a 6 where every panel in and out was NOS apart from one outer and second hand doors and it bugs me as I know.

Hell's teeth, Looks like this is a lot to pay for a number plate, suppose the headlights might work. And the grill looks tidier than mine.

Be interesting to see what it goes for.

Alec is correct, and my memory failed me.

TOTAL number of UK RHD 4A = total number number of all 5's.

UK RHD 4A's averaged just 1,000 per year over 3 years, compared to 25,000 total 4A's for export.

Edited by Paul Harvey

Wow you guys are so glass half empty.......

How can it be for id when no V5 is present??

You never know a true enthusiast may have bought it to rebuild......

Shock horror!!!!!!!

Wow you guys are so glass half empty.......

You never know a true enthusiast may have bought it to rebuild......

Shock horror!!!!!!!

You re apply for it :rolleyes:

" Wow you guys are so glass half empty.......

"

It is still live on DVLA, tax last due 1978, so the V5C should be a formality . . . . .

Bingo, one TR4A with V5C, off the road and rotting for 37+ years, not enough sound parts left of it to legitimately reconstruct . . . . . .

If I tried to count all the TRs that have been rung one way or another - stolen, USA import, parts bitsa, whatever - over the past 40 years then the number would be into 3 figures. That's only the TRs I personally have run across, which can only be a small fraction of the total.

You can't rebuild a crumbling heap of iron oxide, the best you can do is to 'recreate' it. Nothing new there, of course. Including some very well known cars.

Not half empty glasses Tom, just brutal realism.

Cheers

Alec