Brake lights letting me down and switch needs replacing

Gents

If I don't get a resolution to the issue Monday or Tuesday, I will just drive the 3 miles to Eurocarparts

They are expensive compared to the price I paid from the guys in Reading, but . . . . I haven't got the part so far . . . . .

Any thoughts / experiences?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/mobile/product/955/category/38

The correct N/C switch turned up, a couple of days later, followed by a phone call to check that all, was now OK.

It is

not a murmur from the switch since.

I DO like the look of the BMW part . . . . .like a switch should Be!

Edited by wjgco

Hi John,

I had problems with the earth tabs on the rear lights of my TR6. These photos show the mod I made to ensure good earths, presumably the same as Derek describes above.

TR6-017-2048_zpscjtf79yk.jpg

TR6-016-2048_zpss1gcyud1.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Thanks for the pictures thats exactly what I have done, also you can solder an earth wire to the bulb holder and earth on the body.

• 1 year later...

Just had one of these BMW switches delivered. Wow what an improvement on the plastic aftermarket thing the usual suspects supply. I had not realised my aftermarket one was not working. The thought, how dangerous.....I am braking and the driver behind doesn't know until it is too late.

So why are the usual suspects not responsible and withdrawal such critical kit ? Is it because once someone has smashed into the back of me they can sell me a new chassis, bumper, boot lid, rear end ?

Surely they have some kind of responsibility to only offer reliably parts which a safety critical ?

Peter

Hi Peter,

the original brake switch (on my 4A) was a heavy metal job and lasted many years (1967 - 2010)

It got replaced by the usual cheapo plastic thing. This lasted about a month. I open the bonnet one day and found a small spring and few clips in the engine bay.

The switch had simply exploded.

I fitted an ebay BMW switch which looks the bees knees.

I also knocked up a small circuit that monitors the brake lights that has a pair of LED's on the dash board to tell me all is working.

Roger

About 35 yrs ago I use to work on a large number of BMW E30 models

at my garage & noticed that the brake light switch was the same size as

that fitted to my TR6 but a lot better quality. I always carried one in my

tool box as a spare. It was a mod I passed on to many TR6 owners at

the time, bad news is BMW now want £35 for the same item.

Harvey S. Maitland.

A brief update on TR6 brake light switches. A Cambiare switch part no. VE724052

is available from most motor factors at approx. cost of £7.95 + vat, this is a metal

switch not the same quality as the BMW item but far better than the plastic ones.

Harvey S. Maitland