Brake lights letting me down and switch needs replacing

All

My brake lights stopped working this weekend.

The fuse is good.

Bulbs are good

Tail lights work

I have checked all the earth (body) connections I can find in the boot and cleaned / vaselined

I have the brake light switch out and checked with a test light; it is working

However, the switch looks old and feels fragile so I plan to replace it.

I plan to buy Lucas or Intermotor, unless the forum suggests otherwise. . . . . suggestions?

But . . . where else can I look for a resolution to the 'no brake lights' problem

All advice gratefully received

Hi When mine packed up I was advised to fit a steel one instead of the plastic type (which are not very robust) Others will advise but I think it was from a BMW or Mercedes. Straight swop and far better build quality. Got mine of Ebay.

Paul

Seek the words Brake Switch BMW in this forum and you shall find the one we are going over to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Light-Switch-BMW-3-Series-E30-E21-Volvo-240-940-850-760-740-240-/230958745598?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c636c7fe

Cheers

Peter W

Hi John,

eventually the TRiumph switch will die but not without a struggle.

Mine had me running round in circles, checking volts here, continuity there (you have done volts and continuity!!)

The BMW switch the Peter has posted is one of a few that work very well. I have that one.

Roger

OK

That's the new switch ordered, thank you Paul & Pete

Derek

I'm a bit confused . . could you clarify just what you are saying for me please?

I'm sure it's me . . been a heavy weekend so I gave spent a lot of time today, recycling wine bottles!

Note

Switch ordered Roger.

Appro po all things in general, who discovers that a BMW (or, for that matter, any make) part fits a TR, and how do they do it?

Unbelievably useful, but, how on earth . . . . . .?

Edited by wjgco

Pete

How?

What sort of insight did you have?

Is it magic?

I always disconnect mine after MOT's...why let (certain) people know you're braking? :-)

Hi John,

I had problems with the earth tabs on the rear lights of my TR6. These photos show the mod I made to ensure good earths, presumably the same as Derek describes above.

TR6-017-2048_zpscjtf79yk.jpg

TR6-016-2048_zpss1gcyud1.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme, Derek

Ahhhhh . . . the light has just come on!

Many thanks for the pictures, they are always a good idea when dealing with beginners and simpletons

My only concern is that both brake lights went west together, but, both stop lights continue to work

Hi John,

I had problems with the earth tabs on the rear lights of my TR6. These photos show the mod I made to ensure good earths, presumably the same as Derek describes above.

TR6-017-2048_zpscjtf79yk.jpg

TR6-016-2048_zpss1gcyud1.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

+ 2

In fact the brake switch is a rather bristle item, and it works opposite to a normal switch what you push in to operate. on this one you release the switch pin by applying the brake pedal.

If it's not falling apart or the contacts corroded/glazed you might cure the problem by adding some washers,

When the standard switch fails and adjustment of the fixing nuts doesn't fix it then it goes in the bin. It's a truly awful cheap design.

Edited by peejay4A

OK

That's the new switch ordered, thank you Paul & Pete

Derek

I'm a bit confused . . could you clarify just what you are saying for me please?

I'm sure it's me . . been a heavy weekend so I gave spent a lot of time today, recycling wine bottles!

Note

Switch ordered Roger.

Appro po all things in general, who discovers that a BMW (or, for that matter, any make) part fits a TR, and how do they do it?

Unbelievably useful, but, how on earth . . . . . .?

BMW own the Triumph name so its only right that they make replacement parts for our cars.

Bulb holders with a combined earth terminal rather than 'hope it earths through the lamp' system have been available for years.

We found them on the Hillman Avenger so time ago.....

Try Tex for them

http://texautomotive.com/classic_electrical.html

Stag , Spitfire, GT6 used similar bulb holders on their range

Peter W

Thanks Peter

Enquiry sent for holders for the back of the car complete

All

Tex came back to me quickly

"Bulb holders with a combined earth terminal rather than 'hope it earths through the lamp' system have been available for years.

We found them on the Hillman Avenger so time ago.....

Try Tex for them

http://texautomotive.com/classic_electrical.html"

However, it's a pity they have none of the double pole E99996 available

ain't it always the way!

Now on the hunt for an alternative source or 2

Edited by wjgco

Seek the words Brake Switch BMW in this forum and you shall find the one we are going over to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Light-Switch-BMW-3-Series-E30-E21-Volvo-240-940-850-760-740-240-/230958745598?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c636c7fe

Cheers

Peter W

Bought this, unfortunately it switches in the wrong direction;

Press in to close

Release to open

Are you sure this is a good replacement?

Do I have a duff switch?

Yep - wrong operation. The switch I have looks the same as that but is push to open, release to close. Intermotor part number 51690 on the box.

Rob

Rob

That looks like the baby

The one I have is boxed as an FAE 24150, which, according to the FAE site, is, like the Intermotor unit, NC

However, the switch inside the box is NO

Supply chain issues I reckon, but, it's of no use to me, I just want a robust switch

I have asked the supplier to let me have a tested part . . . . now I just have to wait.

Hey ho . . . . .