Wanted triumph tr4a. Advice needed

Dear all. I am looking for a 1965 tr4a. Any ideas from where to start? I looked at most of the popular websites but found nothing decent.

Since I live in Malta it is difficult for me to view personally so I need to be very careful from where to purchase. Also due to tax registration issues it has to be a 1965 model.

Also, should I look for a car with a surrey top? Will a car with a surrey top have a normal soft top?

Thanks

Edited by Fredell1977

Fred

Good luck with your search

Perhaps talk to Mark at Classic Marks cars who regularly trades cars and is well respected - he may be able to source one for you

A surrey car will not have a normal soft top

Graze

Thanks graze.

So if I understood correctly it will not have the soft top and frame correct?

yes, it's one or the other. You should not be in a hurry and anyway wait for autumn and winter when prices drop like leaves from the trees.

+1 for Mark at Classic Marks cars. Has an excellent reputation for fair trading and finding the right car for you. No connection, just reviewing the forum members who have used him.

Mick Richards

When the metal lid is removed from the Surrey, protection against rain is provided by a folding steel frame and a small soft-top. These items are sufficiently small to fit in the boot or behind the seats, whereas the metal lid is too large to carry other than fitted to the car with its 4 bolts (or are they screws? years since I removed mine).

Ian Cornish.

The rear Surrey top arrangement combines three units.

1)The windscreen unit which always stays on the car whether using a Surrey top or a soft top,(it can be removed for refurbishment).

2)The rear backlight unit (like the windscreen but pointing the other way) which is an integral part of the Surrey top arrangement and always stays fitted to the car (the glass can be removed for replacement, and the frame removed for painting etc). From your question to Ian I guess you anticipate being able to remove the rear glass like a zip out rear window on some other models ? that is not possible on a Surrey top, they are sealed in place by the rear screen rubber seal.

3)The centre roof section of the Surrey top is removable for open air driving and covers the area between the front windscreen and the rear backlight. This roof section can be a hard panel (either in alloy (they dent very easily) or steel). Neither of these hard and unbendable panels will fit in the boot, or behind the seats, so normally they are fitted or left at home.

When the car is to be used as an open top car to prevent the occupants becoming wet in rainy conditions the actual correctly named Surrey top is used. This is a small folding frame and a loose clip on material panel (it can be Mohair, Double Duck or one of the useful PVC rubbery like materials) which easily transports behind the seats or in the boot.

Hope that helps.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi mick. Thanks so much. So basically it is a sort of targa top.

I am undecided which version to buy. It seems that the surrey version is the most desirable but I am not sure on whether this is the nicest option.

Thanks to all

P.S. I appreciate any comments on the car in the link I sent in my previous posts

The surrey top is the nicest option I think.

As for the car, you are best getting someone who knows the pitfalls to inspect likely candidates. So someone like Classic Marks, or another well-known dealer is the way to go.

regards

Dave

===

I am undecided which version to buy. It seems that the surrey version is the most desirable but I am not sure on whether this is the nicest option.

Thanks to all

P.S. I appreciate any comments on the car in the link I sent in my previous posts

No. wrong way round. The Surrey top came first so the Targa is a Surrey.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

No. wrong way round. The Surrey top came first so the Targa is a Surrey.Mick Richards

Yes indeed, Porsche thought they invented the Targa! British not German invention!

Thanks dave.

Have anyone heard of classic gas restorations in Durham darlington?

The car in the link is at this dealer. Does anyone live close ?

Fred car looks very tidy from the photos

You need someone to look at it in person

Graze

Thanks to all

The Surrey with hardtop is the nicest version both for the look and the driving experience (windbreaker). The "targa" top wasn't well designed and has the nasty tendency to flap and then fly off unexpectedly. Better look for a 4A with the original Surrey that is with the alloy backlight and either alloy (rare) or steel lid. If bought separatly they will cost you a bomb at current market rate (about 2,5 K) though there are aftermarket fiberglass Surreys and hardtop available on the cheap http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/triumph.htm .Anyway check if this is an original alloy/steel or a fiberglass as this will reflect on the value of the car.

Edited by Geko

Thank you all. I contacted classic Marques. Let's see. Please let me know if anyone knows of a decent tr4a.

Apart from the surrey top ( that it should be original or else fiberglass will effect value) are there any other tips or issues I should look at which can effect the value?

Edited by Fredell1977

That Classic Gas Restorations in Darlington seem to have a quite limited web site at http://cgrestorations.co.uk/ I've not personally heard of them myself and maybe one of the Cleveland group members may know of them and might take a look for you. If not, you could perhaps ask a local garages if they would take a look at it for you, at a fee. For instance http://www.heritageclassics-teesside.co.uk/ or http://www.willowtriumph.com/ both know their Triumphs, with the latter being on the outskirts of Darlington. Can't say they will but you can always ask.

Paul