Fitting a Brake Servo to TR4A - tips?

Hello wise ones,

I was at the IWE in Malvern yesterday and saw a Servo Kit for the TR4A. I spoke to the guy on the stand who said the kit included all the bits save for the connection to the manifold. I quickly walked around the TR4A section with their bonnets up outside and saw various methods of connecting the hose. One included a T piece from that twisted breather pipe thing with a flat disc and and a spring (does this actually serve a purpose?) and others had hoses attached to the carburetors.

If anyone has pics of their set up that would be excellent.

I do not want to remove the manifold for drilling and tapping. I am fine with the set up as is but I want my wife to drive the car when we go to France and Italy so it would be easier for her with a servo.

I think I would mount it on the passenger side bulkhead where I have seen a few on other cars.

Pics please

Thanks

Charles

Edited by cotswold

Hi Charles,

the "twisted breather pipe thing with a flat disc and and a spring (does this actually serve a purpose?) does actually serve a purpose and almost works.

It is part of the crankcase breathing system.

On the TR4 and earlier cars the oil fumes were dumped overboard. The PCV takes it back in the engine via the carbs and it comes out the back - much nicer.

Roger

Here is my installation - servo from TR Shop London - works perfectly.

The manifold was removed and drilled and tapped for the connection (where the breather inlet is on the 4A)

Hope it helps! Brake pedal is very light with the only downside being it is very easy to lock up the rear wheels!

post-12723-0-04738600-1439209921_thumb.jpg

post-12723-0-36843500-1439210120_thumb.jpg

Surely the best tip is: don't fit a servo.

Car only weighs a ton and even a 10-stone, mid-70s old man can stop a TR without need of a servo!

And once wheels are locked, the car is no longer under the driver's control.

Ian Cornish

Thanks all, I guess it's the T adaptor on the breather then (helpful pics too thanks Dave) if I go ahead with it that is, there are many of these servos out there but I have not heard of the rear brakes locking up from anyone before, I will raise it at the next meeting.

Charles

Thanks all, I guess it's the T adaptor on the breather then (helpful pics too thanks Dave) if I go ahead with it that is, there are many of these servos out there but I have not heard of the rear brakes locking up from anyone before, I will raise it at the next meeting.

Charles

Charles,

Based on my experience with the servo fitted to my TR4A, I would suggest that there is a problem with the front brakes if the rears are locking first. The servo does not alter the balance of the brakes at all, it just reduces the effort required to achieve the same force.

If your system is good then the servo is a sensible addition, after all Triumph engineers added one to the next model!

Cheers

Graeme

TRs with disc front brakes and with 10" rear brakes having 0.75" slave cylinders can be over-braked at the rear. Depends to an extent on the material in the disc pads. My brother's TR3 would lock its 10" rear brakes, whereas my disc-braked TR2 (with 9" drums at the rear) never did - so the TR2 stopped more rapidly.

To reduce the problem, one can reduce the size of the slave cylinders in the rear brakes - I think the first step is to 0.625".

Ian Cornish

• 3 weeks later...

I used a servo off a BMC land crab on my TR4 and on the 4A without any brake locking issues - braking system on both being in good order prior to fitting servo. As said servo fittment just reduces pedal effort, and does not affect brake balance.

And as for saying " And once wheels are locked, the car is no longer under the driver's control", the answer is don't lock the wheels!! - same answer with or without a servo :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Surely the best tip is: don't fit a servo.

Car only weighs a ton and even a 10-stone, mid-70s old man can stop a TR without need of a servo!

And once wheels are locked, the car is no longer under the driver's control.

Ian Cornish

Agree with Ian. I have Green Stuff pads on the front, slightly uprated shoes on the back, no servo. Works fine, no lockups yet & the wife can drive it!

I fitted a servo to my TR3a and it has proved to be responsible for some strange behaviour from the brakes and led to me disconnecting the vacuum pipe from the manifold. Without the servo the brakes take a bit of getting used to after driving a 'modern' but the do lock the wheels if needed. I live in Devon and we have lots of narrow lanes so I have had plenty of opportunities to check that they are still effective.

I will leave it until the winter before I decide whether to remove the servo altogether and re route the brake pipes or to strip and repair the servo.

Rgds Ian

• 1 year later...

AFAIK there's no part number as this is an aftermarket accessory. I used a copper "T" piece 10 mm inner dia out of the hardware shop

Thank you for your rapid reply, and I will do the same. However assuming (???) that some TR4A's were delivered brand new with brake servos you would have thought there would be a part number for the T-piece?

Hi,

I fitted a servo to my 4A some years ago & am generally happy with the result. Yes the wheels can lock up if I brake hard but that applies to any car without ABS. With respect to your wife she is unlikely to be as heavy footed as some of us. I have fitted 1144 brake pads to the front discs and will generally lock the fronts rather than rears although to be honest it is not very often. I much prefer the more solid performance the servo gives & would recommend it.

I fitted a fast road cam a few years ago & was advised by TR Enterprises to dump the breather valve as it would affect performance. This then gave me the ideal take off point for the servo - or so I thought.

advice from a different source said I was better to drill & tap a hole in the center of the inlet manifold as this would equalise the effect on the vacuum to the carb pistons.

If you are keen not to drill the manifold then I would use the breather valve inlet pipe on the manifold & feed a breather hose from the rocker cover to an oil catch pot on the bulkhead. i don't know what adding a brake servo would do to the vagaries of the breather valve in terms of inlet pressure, but it surely cannot help? Be sure to use decent vacuum hose to the servo.