Anything used with the slightest amount of abrasive in it will mean that there is a myriad of fine scratches which is especially noticeable when head up to the sun. Use vinegar and newspaper.

Stuart.

Suggest tip 2 bottle caps Flash in to a pint container. Make up to about 1/4 full with meths and to a pint with water. Or you can add the flash to non freezing screen wash. Apply with a soft cloth and leave for some minutes rinse and wipe off. Then to be really spiffy clean with the old fashioned/original pink Windolene. Don't forget the inside

Mike

Mike, in my experience Windolene leaves lots of tiny scratches. Autoglym glass polish doesn't. Mer used to sell s windscreen polish that was even better (and cheaper) that the Autoglym, but when they changed to the dark blue packaging they stopped selling it.

Pete

This may not be your problem but if there's lots of sticky adhesive with dried paper or dryed up glue on the glass I use nitromors , then soapy water to wash off then meths or vinegar.

Ancient chrome can sometimes respond well to fine steel wool and soap/ durabrite/Brasso. Don't rub too hard though.

Bill G

I tried the wd40 on my daily driver yesterday. Fantastically clean screen now! Great tip.