Numpty Attempts rewire

Week two finds our Numpty with lots of wires connected, hopefully in the right places.

However it's clear the gods of electrickery are not smiling on him.

Most of the wires reconnect to to their various switches and things colour for colour and according to the wiring diagram.........but looks like someone got there before me and added a few "new" wires without much regard for colour. therefore I have bits of wire without a home, and a few homes without a wire!

As advised wisely by fellow forumites I left stubs on most of the switches, this helped a lot, but these "new" wires are giving me a hard time. mostly on the ignition switch and the overdrive inhibitors. I used to have wires going to the reversing light switch, but not now, I did buy the optional overdrive wiring loom.

I seem to have two "extra" green / green yellow wires on the ignition switch?

I have attached a few low res. pic's in the hope that some one may be able to advise.

I am starting to think it may be a good idea to have an auto electrician check my work over before I connect a battery?

Thanks all for your patience. David

post-12561-0-33325700-1438012528_thumb.jpg

post-12561-0-45387100-1438012750_thumb.jpg

Edited by david c

Oh yes, I found the batteries on the Ouija board were flat and was quite unable to work out which way round the replacements should go in.

Advance auto wire...........for pity's sake Roger Advanced...............I having enough trouble with basic!

I know to you chaps / chapeses this is, to paraphrase John Cleese "Bleedin' obvoius", not so to me.

Edited by david c

No need to have everything connected for some things to work OK.

Have a go. Try to get the lights on.

Sometimes this shows up simple faults that help with the puzzles. It also builds confidence.

Get a 12V bulb with two bits of wire on it, about a 2 yards long and clips on the ends.

You either put one cip on chassis OR you put it on 12V.

Now run around touching stuff with the other clip. After a while a pattern will develop in you mind.

This is called "understanding". Only comes by mucking about.

Take the blades off when you test the wipers. Saves accidents with paintwork.

If you have two-speed wipers read my article because the wiring on these is not obvious.

If you get totally beaten I'll maybe come and fix it.

Edited by AlanT

Hello, whenever I have improved (fiddled) with the wiring I put a 20 amp fuse between the battery +ve and the rest of the car, if it blows when I switch something on it stops the smoke escaping from the cable, Cheers, Andrew

Thanks chaps for your support and your humor. The latter is a bit lacking at the moment.

I threw in the towel this morning, oh the shame. called an auto electrician. better I thought than watching the new wiring melt before my eyes. I just couldn't get my head round the lack of light green wires and the surplus of green and black wires in the new loom. then you start doubting every thing else!

It is a shame as now I won't ever fully understand whats going on, but if I watch between tea making duties I may pick up some clues.

Thank you all again David

If I was nearer I would come and help. Fed up with my own work.

Dave

====