Registration of imported vehicle

Hi

Have purchased a triumph tr4a american import last year.The vehicle is at present being fully restored.The vehicle has had the import duty paid and i have the heritage certificate.The vehicle however was imported quite some time ago.The only thing that concerns me is that when i take the vehicle

for the mot test i dont have a registration plate on the vehicle.i was told that the vehicle had to have an mot before a number can be issued by dvla.

Does this mean i have to trailer the vehicle to the testing station and wait for dvla to issue me a registration number before i can drive on the road.

Could someone shed any light on this for me please would really appreciate it

Thanks

Nigel

You can drive to and from the MOT station for a booked appointment as long as you are insured.

It is worth speaking to the station to check they can process the MOT without a registration number - with my Italia they had to juggle lots of buttons on the machine before it would proceed.

Yeah will have to speak to the testing station a bit nearer the time.Just wasnt sure about driving it there with no reg plates thats all.I was aware that you can take it if vehicle has insurance and was booked in just wasnt sure about driving with no licence plates .Did your vehicle have plates on then when you took it for mot?

Regards

Nigel

Nigel

Does this help.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

My car was imported and was registered with the DVLA before receiving it first MOT.

On arrival in the UK the Customs, at the port, raised a "C&E 388" on which it states that the competed " form must be taken without delay to the Vehicle Registration Office".

Should /do you have one of these forms?

All the best

Rog

Nigel

You are correct DVLA will not issue a registration until the car has an MOT, as Paul says you can drive it for an MOT as long as you are insured, the MOT will bear the cars chassis number and will be re-issued by DVLA with the allocated registration, as said it may be worth checking with the MOT station, I've know of cars being failed because they did not bear a registration plate!! So the MOT station must be aware of the procedure. DVLA will confirm.

When you apply for a registration, DVLA will keep all of the original documents for the car, they will not accept copies, so if you have US title get good copies for your own records before you post them off.

I have to say it can be a minefield, if you search my threads you will see the problems I had with a friends TR4A last year

Still the sooner you start, the sooner you can begin to enjoy your TR..............good luck!!

Tom

The vehicle has to be registered on the Notification Of Vehicle Arrival (NOVA) system before it can be registered. When I imported my vehicle (TR3a) in 2006 the NOVA system did not exist and I was issued with a C&E388 form that showed all import duties had been paid.

When I completed my rebuild in 2014 I sent the C&E form to HMRC along with a letter explaining the situation and they registered it on NOVA and sent a letter confirming everything was in order.

I booked an MOT at my local garage and drove there without plates (but with an insurance cover note issued specifically for that purpose). For the actual MOT the fitter had to enter the info manually as the earliest TR on the system is TR7.

The car passed without any issues and I was able to send off for a registration. You do need to send the U.S. Certificate of Title and they won't return it to you because it has to go back to the States.

Rgds Ian

PS there is a telephone help line number on the HMRC website and they were very helpful. Ditto for DVLA.

Edited by Ian Vincent

Thanks roger /tom

The vehicle was imported in early nineties rog so not sure if i have that form.I know i have the heritage certificate and the import duties have been paid.

Have looked up on the internet and it states that vehicle must be mot tested first.Then i would have to have an individual vehicle approval carried out and then

a certificate would be issued.I believe the tr register club can carry this out for me.Then i would have to contact the dvla office and they may request to see the vehicle.

I would have to show them my conformity documentation (individual vehicle approval certificate),insurance and mot certificate and complete v55/5 application form.

I believe there is a fee of £55 for this and then i can be issued with my new registration number :)

Hi Nigel

Ian is right you should contact HMRC in Dover and update the C & E form, this can be done any time, they will not issue a NOVA letter, just a reference Number which will also be sent to DVLA at the time you get it, that said I understand that the C & E status still stands but if it were me i'd bring it up to date.

You should not have to have the car checked for type approval, just ignore this on the form

DVLA will recognise/accept a dating letter from the club, sometimes they will not accept a heritage certificate :wub:

The forms require personal information as well, send off for the pack now if you don't already have it as it takes a while to come

£55 is correct at present

Sounds like Ian was lucky, the DVLA staff I dealt with had no idea who British Motor Heritage was!

hope it goes well........................get your ducks lined up!!

Regards

Tom

Hi Ian

I was told all sorts!! It was a CKD car, that really threw them! They asked me for the Belgian build documents at one point....yeah right!!

In the end I complained to the CEO, it was very clear to me that there was/is no straightforward policy regarding historic vehicles, it eventually sorted but took 3 months!!

Regards

Tom

• 1 year later...

Hi Tomtr250,

I wonder if you can provide any guidance/advice please? I recently purchased a Triumph TR3A from a company whom imported it from South Africa. I have obtained the original Standard Motors build date and build records from the club and discussed this at length with Bill Piggot whom has been superb. However, as my car is a CKD car, DVLA are still not willing to register my car with an age related plate despite me providing details of the origional build. They state that as it was exported in CKD form, they can't verify when it was built up in SA. You mentioned you eventually managed to resolve your case by a complaint to the CEO of DVLA. Upon reading your comments, I feel I am in a replica situation to you an wonder as a fellow TR owner whether you could provide any assistance in respect of your experience. If DVLA have set a precedent with your TR, i wonder if you can provide any advices/names/numbers etc so i can refer them to your case to see if they will register my car correctly and not on a 'Q' plate. This has been on going since December 2016 and I am really struggling! If any one else can help me, i would really appreciate it. Thank you, Dean1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dean

Will let you know how I get on as vehicle is booked in for mot Saturday.ive got mine put on the nova register and have the American document still and heritage certificate so have to see what happens

Regards

Nige

Heritage cert and dating letter no good when I registered my US import 4a much to

Bill Piggotts frustration as both are meant to work.

The dVla now use a third party company to come look at the vehicle, this is

because of the increase in ringing vehicles and fake cars being registered.

The 'inspection' is nothing to worry about, the guy arrives and basically

says oh yes its an old car,takes some pictures,copies the chassis number and leaves.

As long as your car is honest you shouldn't have a problem.

A week later your log book arrives. That was my experience 18 months ago anyway but

who knows.

Colt

Edited by Britishbest