Factory Hard top for TR4?

Hi Tim

That's certainly not a factory 'Surrey' top arrangement - it looks like one of the U.S. aftermarket alternatives, possibly a Microplas.

Anyone know more ? It's certainly nicer looking than many I've seen.

Regards

Tony

Looks very much like the fiberglass hardtop that was on my TR250 when I bought it in 1978. Definitely aftermarket, and yes, as Tony says, almost certainly US. Tom Fremont may be able to give us a lot more details.

6145356.jpg

Probably Microplas, the makers name is by the looks of it just out of shot on one of the pictures.

Stuart.

I believe its a Parish hardtop (I have one that came w/a TR4 I bought years ago)....They're the best looking of the aftermarket hardtops as they look pretty similiar to the surrey top with its clamshell fitted. Triumph, in the US anyway, did offer a factory fiberglass hardtop (but still offering the surrey setup as well), but it was an awkward looking affair - way more boxy & square.

I believe its a Parish hardtop (I have one that came w/a TR4 I bought years ago)....They're the best looking of the aftermarket hardtops as they look pretty similiar to the surrey top with its clamshell fitted. Triumph, in the US anyway, did offer a factory fiberglass hardtop (but still offering the surrey setup as well), but it was an awkward looking affair - way more boxy & square.

Parrish sounds familiar -- that might have been the one I had so many years ago.

Hi

Parrish is a different shape again, so don't think it's one if theirs which is Very 'Surrey top' like except where the two halves of the roof join at the back on the original.

It's also not a Bastuck one, nor the single piece type that Chris Carter / Chestnut House used to sell (moulds now owned by TR Enterprises as far as I am aware).

Regards

Tony

99% sure the first one is a Parrish, now made by Smoothline, http://www.smoothline.com/triumph.php , and the second a Microplas - see ad on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1963-Motor-Sport-Magazine-Advert-MICROPLAS-HARDTOP-FOR-TRIUMPH-TR4-/251962154114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aaa1d5c82

cheers

Derek