TR4 steerinmg colukn top/bottom bush replacement

Have you divorced Roger before then?

No I havn't divorced Roger before but I had a cousin who remarried the same husband she divorced years earlier.....!!

My meaning was that the TR in question is a replacement for a wife of divorced owner or maybe a means to a new wife, who knows?

Are you referring to this county Sue when you say St Pirans land?

Stuart.

Yes Stuart, I am.

Hi all

My successful method to doing this in situ hinges around getting the right drift in your hand - as I recall its a 30mm od, 3mm wall steel tube. I need to find it again soon as the same job to do myself.

The other thing that helps immeasurably is squirting a small amount of white lithium greasy down the outer tube to enable smooth passage of what goes down it.

It is considerably easier to do it with the column still strapped into the car, driving the new bushes down from the top.

Regards

Tony

Sue is it a white car with tan interior?

Stuart.

No Stuart, it was Royal Blue very bad paint finish with a red vinyl Surry top. It did have a Tan interior. Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Tony,

Hmmm!!

I'm sure garages probably do something similar but it is not engineering.

Removing the column allows you to inspect areas that would normally remain invisible.

Fitting the bushes is easy peasy but knowing that all things are as they should be would always be a mystery.

One thing that I found was a little disconcerting.

The Steering column is designed to be collapsible

Ref the Moss cat pic http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/steering/steering-rack-column-wheel-tr4-4a.html

Item #63 should in the event of a front end prang collapse into outer shaft #55

Item #55 rotates in the bushes #5.

The clamp #58 provides the friction to hold things together.

However the cowl tube #3 sits very close to the #58 clamp - thus any collapsing would be minimal. (unless of course if the cowl also collapsed - but it wouldn't)

If the cowl tube was reduced in length back to the bulkhead this would allow an extra 4" of collapsibility . The inner tube has enough movement to allow this.

Replacing the bushes the in situ way does not allow you to see other issues.

if you had very short arms then you could have the steering wheel fully rearward and enjoy the collapsible effect but normal people have no such benefit.

Roger

+1 for the Revington bushes, they are not split like the standard ones and mine have done about 15000 miles so far and still good. No one seems to have mentioned to check the state of the column, over 50 years the metal wears and even new bushes may not be a good fit, and if rough the column will wear the new bushes quickly.

Chris

No Stuart, it was Royal Blue very bad paint finish with a red vinyl Surry top. It did have a Tan interior.

Not one Ive seen then, I wonder which auction it came out of as there isnt really any dedicated classic one down here.

Stuart.

Not one Ive seen then, I wonder which auction it came out of as there isnt really any dedicated classic one down here.

Stuart.

I'll try and find out.