TR4A commission plate

I have a request to make of TR4A owners. Could you please let me know whether your commission plate states manufactured by Standard Motor Co or by Standard-Triumph Motor Co. There appears to be conflicting information.

Perhaps you could also tell me the approx commission no in case there was a change in mid production.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Paul, Graeme,

Thanks for your input. I have information on four other plates which all say Standard Motor Co, some are earlier than Paul's and some later. Also in some the weight is in lbs and some in kg. All very confusing.

I will do a wider survey at Malvern.

Thanks again

Mike

Paul, Graeme,

. . . .in some the weight is in lbs and some in kg. All very confusing.

I will do a wider survey at Malvern.

Thanks again

Mike

Just wondering whether the destination (home market

or export) could have something to do with it.

AlanR

Hi all

FWIW I have access to a number of 4As which are all untouched and unrestored original UK cars so I believe the commission plates are entirely original - these state as follows:

1. a C reg which is CTC 580-- and the commission plate quotes GLW in Kilos and manufactured by " THE STANDARD MOTOR Co LTD" and beneath that "COVENTRY ENGLAND" - note no commas and all capitals except for the "o" in Co and this "o" is in line with the top of the letters witha line beneath it.

2. a D reg which is CTC 580-- and the details are exactly the same as 1 above - interestingly, and I've never noticed this before, this car was the next built after 1 according to the commission numbers! This commission plate is fairly badly corroded but still legible

3. a D reg which is CTC 692-- and the commission plate quotes GLW as 2660 LBS and manufactured by " THE STANDARD MOTOR Co LTD" and beneath that "COVENTRY" - note no commas and all capitals as for 1 but interestingly, nothing after "COVENTRY" - this is in the middle of the line beneath the manufacturer name so I don't think any country ID followed it.

It's interesting that the later car's weight is in lbs, whereas the earlier ones are in KIlos!

I'm afraid I'm struggling to get photos of these.

Hope this helps

cheers

Rich

Hi Mike

I've just bought a 4A to restore for friend, it has a Standard Motor co plate CTC 609**

This car still has it's old green log book registered EDP 348C, talking to my "friends" at DVLA they will require a club dating certificate, are you the man to contact?

Also if anyone reading this knows anything about this car i would like to hear

Regards

Tom

Thanks Rich and Tom.

Tom, if DVLA don't have the car on their system you will need to recover it via the V765 scheme. Bill Piggott handles this, details on P4 of TRaction. It shouldn't be a problem with you having a log book.

Suggest you also contact Jon Marshall (TR4/4A registrar) to see whether he has the car in his records.

Mike

• 10 months later...

Hi Tom.

Quite by chance I searched the reg number of my old TR4A and arrived at this website. I used to own this car and sold it to a friend back in 1982 or there about. At the time, I had stripped off most of the bodywork and bought many new panels, which were sold to my friend with the car. I lived in Welling, Kent and the car was taken to Bath. I still have pictures from when it was up and running if you would be interested

Best wishes

Ian

Hi Ian

I'm restoring this car for a friend of mine, I'm very interested in any detail you may have

Thanks very much for getting in touch

Regards

Tom