TR5/250 SEATS - restoration caveat

The side wires on these are unavailable SFAIK. They can be replicated using 1/8" music wire but have no illusions it will be easy! The decent looking seats I got ( with help from AP ) suffered near total breakage on the driver's seat's wires, cleverly spliced to each other sufficient to get them paid by a well known UK suspect, but woefully unequal to the task required.

I don't think any of the other TR seats share these wires nor facsimiles either. Compared to a TR2/3 or early TR4 seat they are somewhat vulnerable.

Here's what Vintage Auto Trim ( near me ) did, replacing (5) of (6) originals and reinforcing them with an extra run of wire on the outside edge to make them share the load:

IMG_0374_zpsrv5t4wou.jpg

IMG_0375_zpskqphjgkx.jpg

I don't know what this part of the job cost - and don't really want to! Having done some 15 years ago I just know I'm happy to have someone else do them.

Cheers,

Tom

The Make up of the Seat is very similar to Early Vitesse MK2 Seats from the same period?

The Metal wire pieces are no longer available for this model as I found out when rebuilding mine, the back rests are only available for the Vitesse in shaped Foams.

Great work by the Trimmer though Tom.

Edited by Gary Flinn

Hi Alan,

That is a superb result! How you got them so is amazing given they no longer have the side wires.

The 4A frames are different from the 5/250 frames ( even if they have side wires too ). Yours have many more holes plus steel straps across the back and steel plates between the bottom frame levels.

If the replacements mentioned by Snowy are up to snuff, my advice is to buy them ;). Fifteen years ago I couldn't find any so figured they were never going to be available for purchase <_< .

Cheers,

Tom