Hi

A few years ago I recall selling some odd bits of rod, a few clips and some saggy bits of plastic that I could never envisage fitting to my 62 Tr4.

I now know these to be a full set of sun visors and rare fittings. They did sell fairly quickly.........

Anyway, time moves on and with age comes wisdom

I am now seeking a full set of fixings to complete the car

If anyone can help I would be most grateful

I will post a wanted add as well

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I have replied to your PM but there is more.

I have two centre pieces for the TR4 - from a saloon of unknown type.

I will be making the outer arms (left and right) If I succeed I will two sets. You may have one of the sets - defo this summer.

As for the visors - I am at a loss at present. The shop bought ones I have seen recently look like slack stockings thrown away by Nora Batty.

Roger

The padding (foam rubber?) inside the original sun visors on my TR4 disintegrated to fine dust, which fell out every time I moved a visor, so I bought a pair of visors from John Skinner three years ago. The colour match is pretty good.

Ian Cornish

Ron,

Have you considered refilling the original vinyl "skins" with expanding foam as sold in DIY sheds? It may work especially if you restrain the thickness between two boards. Otherwise you might get a sausage!

Best of luck

Mike

Hi Mike , I have tried that on another repair and thought that if I contain the foam it would be more dense but it was squidging out everywhere through the gaffer tape and it wasn't dense enough, gave my other half a laugh though as I was trying to plug the leaks !

I think 2 sausages to block the sun might look cool.

Regards

Ron

Personally I think you were right to flog 'em.

They always look terrible and are almost completely useless (how often is the sun just in that 2 inch slot anyway?).

Buy some shades & a hat B)

Jerry

Hi Folks,

I noticed on the 4A a while ago that with the sun visor in the fully up position it also forms a reasonable spongy barrier for the top rail - I don;t fancy trying it but it all lines up nicely.

I can't imagine perspex affording the same soft landing.

Roger

Does anyone have any experience of the Moss perspex sun visors for the TR4? I haven't rejoined the ranks of TR4 owners but am just asking on behalf of a friend.

Mike

I think Guy (Jersey Royal) has those in his 6.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Troops, I'm fortunate that the sponge on my sun visors is still intact. They were white but I remember Allan spraying them black over 7 years ago and they still look ok. However, the drivers side drops back to a horizontal line and I wondered what to use to, how shall I put it, keep clear of my vision, the passenger one stays up.

Intrigued to know the inner workings of the sun visors?

Christine

Hi Christine,

the metal rods on each side go into thin walled tubes inside the visor.

You could either squish the tube slightly in a vice or Mole wrench.

Or you could put a very small bend on the outer rod - this is what I did and it works a treat.

Roger

Thanks Roger, think I will try squeezing the tube with a Mole wrench, I don't have to remove the visor if I use this method.

Cheers

Christine

Hi Christine,

you will still need to remove the visor even when squeezing with the Moles.

It is very easy to remove - undo the outer attachment screw, pull of the attachment (may be stuck with age). Pull off the visor. Leave the centre attachment in place.

You can now squish the visor tube - just a little at a time ; don;t over do it.

If you have a vice then it is actually easier to bend the rod - just a little.

Bending the rod will allow the rod to be lubricated - this does two things

1, stops it squeaking

2, stops it rusting.

Roger

I salvaged mine by cleaning the bejazzers out of them as they were heavily permeated with grease/oil from being at the bottom of a box of engine bits for a decade.

Then razoring down the seam where front joins back, removing old filling and then re-packing with a piece of that thin plastic that looks like it could be card and 2x2 layers of that close white foam used for packing electronics (all because the stuff was handy). Resealed with a bead of hot melt adhesive. Spray painted to finish. The hot melt accepted the plastic paint Ok. The visors are stiff enough with about the right amount of squidge.

They are occasionally semi-useful as shades as mentioned above, and also moderately effective for directing airflow above my head. Overall though I would say really they are more for a completeness look a long peaked cap is better for keeping the Sun out of your eyes.

Mike

The passenger side one on my car used to work it's way downwards on it's own. I made 3 or 4 indentations in the metal rod that inserts into the visor with a hammer and punch, and this roughened the surface enough to hold the visor in place. Less risky than deforming the hollow tube in my opinion.