Wire wheels fitted huge gap from tyre to wing

some advice please guys.

I bought the car last year, it had large 195 tyres on TR6 Pepper Pot wheels and I bought wires and 165 tyres to fit when back from reprinting.

I fitted the splines and new wheels yesterday and there is approx. 6" gap between the tyre top and the wings. Has the previous owner raised the suspension do you think as I wanted to get an original look to the car which I understand had 165 tyres as standard? Can I lower the suspension by simply reducing the spring length?

Thanks

Charles

You haven't stated the aspect ratio on either the 195 or 165 tyres. The sort of tyres commonly fitted to TRs can have aspect ratios from 80% to 65%, and this can make a considerable difference to the look of the car.

At the front, how close is the spring pan to the lower bump stop when the car is at rest?

Ian Cornish

At the front, how close is the spring pan to the lower bump stop when the car is at rest?

Ian Cornish

Irrelevant as its a 4a they dont have that bump stop.

Stuart.

Hi Charles,

if the gap is as you say then the things that will affect it are the spring length, the top and bottom spring collarss or a combination of both.

Item 116 are the devils. http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/front-suspension/front-suspension-tr4a.html

These can be obtained in various thicknesses.

If yours are on the thick side then get standard 5mm polybushes. If nothing else they are expensive and give you that smug feeling when driving around (well, they do for me)

Roger

Thanks all.