Overdrive safe to use?

Hello all, finally drove Betty home last night. After the gear oil leak, fibre washer replaced and cleaned through and new gear oil the overdrive started working again (it stopped due to low gear oil). Coming down the A12 it suddenly started jumping in and out and the stopped altogether, I turned it off and then tried again after some minutes, it started working again fine for about 10 minutes then started jumping in and out again. I was doing 60-70 and the Rev counter was reading 3000 at 60 which dropped to about 2500 with overdrive engaged.

My main concern until it can be fixed is should I try to use it for the 90 mile rally on Sunday or could it be damaged if jumping in and out, should I switch it off straight away or leave it to try and clear itself?

Got the hardtop to fit at last but (there's a,ways a but!) the threads on the captive nuts are not good and one has lost its retainer, turns round and round. Guess the roof lining will have to be stripped out to fix that!

One of the UJ's couldn't be replaced as the 'bit' it fixes to on the drive shaft is broken, do I have to buy a drive shaft or a 'bit'. Sorry I'm not more clear, waiting for the full report from garage

I still have a knock in 1st and 2nd, actually seems worse........

Still love her and can't wait to get her out on Sunday

Christine

A couple of things which could cause the overdrive to go in-out:

1 - the isolator switch on the top cover of the gearbox could be loose - for top/3rd gear, it's the switch on the left.

2 - the hold-in coil on the solenoid may not be doing its job.

The hold-in coil has a very fine wire and it can fracture at the point where it is soldered to the supply wire. Because it is so fine, it is difficult (but not impossible) to re-solder.

Does the in-out performance occur in 2nd gear? If not, then 2 is the more likely problem.

Ian Cornish

If you have the correct level of oil in the box, then if you are worried about the o/d, just don't use it this weekend. The o/d on my stag packed up at the end of a 400 mile night rally back in april, just 2 miles from home. It now works intermittently, but have not had time to investigate so have been driving the car just not using it for the last few months with no ill effects (having checked the oil level!)

Edited by mikeyb

Hi Ian, hi Mikey, I didn't know od worked in 2nd so didn't test. Regretfully I won't have time too check out before rally. It sounds like I shouldn't use it on Sunday apart from testing 2nd?

Christine

On TR4/4A, overdrive should operate on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.

On the gearbox top cover, there should be two isolator switches: the the rightmost for 2nd, the left (actualyy on the mid-line, running fore-aft) for 3rd/4th.

Some cars may have been fitted with a reversing light actuated when reverse gear is engaged, in which case there will be a further isolator switch on the far left.

If the overdrive is acting like a yo-yo, best not to use it until some diagnostic testing can be undertaken.

Ian Cornish

If it has only just been refilled with oil then it may well be that the box hasnt been topped up after the overdrive has been used for a few miles.The unit fills from the gearbox and must always have the level rechecked.If you need to buy a new prop then Proptech at Kidderminster http://www.yell.com/biz/proptech-ltd-kidderminster-7183165/

are the best people.Get the garage to come to you and check the oil level as they have been doing the job.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi guys, just on train home from work, thanks both for the info, will check out what you say and look into driveshaft costs, one thing seems to lead to another..........

Have s good weekend

Christine