Centre Exhaust Joint TR3/4

Has anyone found a good solution for making the centre joint on the exhaust pipe gas tight, where it fixes to the mounting bracket at the end of the gearbox.

The clamp on the bracket itself is too large/not strong enough to apply sufficient clamping force and as it sits right in the middle of the joint hinders the fitting of an additional clamp.

Is it just a case of slapping on the Gun Gum or is there a more elegant solution.

Only had this problem the past 40 years so think it's time to sort it once and for all!

Cheers,

JeffR

PTFE tape.

Mick Richards

The clamp in the TR Shop fitting kit does work OK but still needs a little fettling to get a good tight fit.

Stuart.

My rear gearbox support snapped and was welded about 4 times until it worked OK. I have another regular exhaust pipe clamp next to it and exhaust paste.

Working well now.

Richard & H.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I think my first approach will be to speak to the TR Shop about their version of the clamp. If that fails next step will be to fit a second clamp and coat the internal circumference of the exhaust with Gun Gum.

From your comments most seem to have experienced this problem so there is clearly a design fault with the existing clamp/bracket set up.

Maybe there's an opportunity for a clever piece of design to solve this maddening problem once and for all!

Cheers,

JeffR

Hi

on the exhaust of my rally TR4 this is solved by cutting out a 2 inch section and adding in a good quality flexible joint. You can get these from Demon Tweeks in the UK or similar. Engineers out the vibration / deformation problem at source, so no leaks or bits that get walloped and move.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you. Brilliant - an excellent solution! Thank you for sharing this.

In the meantime, I'd bought a new standard clamp from Moss to see if it had improved any.

To my surprise it was broader than the one previously fitted to my car by about 8mm and is made of heavier gauge steel.

My previous clamp was also broader than the original Stanpart offering by about 5-6mm so it seems as time's gone by these clamps have gradually been beefed up, presumably to solve the problem with the exhaust.

After a bit of fetling (one end of the clamp needs shortening) the new clamp provided much better coverage of the joint with a much higher clamping force. I also added some exhaust paste just in case.

I'm pleased to say the joint is now solid and gas tight - first time ever!

If I hadn't already done this I think your solution, Tony would be the one to go for

Cheers,

Jeff.