comments required Tr3b for auction

I'll offer a few comments, as one of the few on here who has a TR3B these days, and has spent a lot of time looking at them over the last thirty four years.

• Hard to tell much from the arty photography.
  • Weak description, in my opinion. "...Totally restored in 2013 with such fundamental elements such as the body, frame, chassis, interior and engine all receiving due attention" doesn't say much. That's a lazy way out of giving useful information.
  • I'd guess the car is black, but with those pix it could be dark green or even blue. I don't think I've ever seen an original black TR3B, but that's a minor point, and "originality" is hard to judge with TR3Bs
  • The commission number is never mentioned, but with the oil filler at the back of the valve cover it appears to be a TCF (later series) car with the TR4 engine. Probably a full synchromesh gearbox, too, but that's not mentioned either. No idea about overdrive. I've never seen an original TR3B with OD, but a lot of them have been converted over the years.
  • The car has adjustable steering, which I've seen on un-modified EVERY TR3B I've ever seen (Triumph apparently had a lot of parts to clear out).
  • The restorer was "creative" with colors on the engine, with reds and yellows used for things that S-T was happy to have black. That's not a negative, just an observation.
  • The comment about headlight rims and wider grille apply to all North American market TR3As -- nothing special for the TR3B there.
  • Seller doesn't mention weather equipment at all.

Overall, I have no idea about this one. It's a car that needs to be looked at in person if you have any interest. A TR3B can be a nice sidescreen car, especially with the larger engine and full synchro. I don't think they're worth more than a similarly equipped TR3A, as many of those cars have been restored to almost the same specifications.

Thanks for your comments Don, very informative, I was also concerned about the pictures they seem to be in a strange format and I guess the comments are from the auction house, may be risky without seeing the car in person, and as the car is being auctioned probably wouldn't get a chance to speak to the owner.

Yes Menno strange picture, looks like a lot of ''graphic enhancement'' going on.

regards Lee

Underbonnet area doesnt inspire much confidence in the quality of the rebuild. Fuel lines wrong, blue crimp connectors on the loom, heater valve missing its wheel, Rad cap looks to be tired judging by the drips below and with no overflow pipe. Exhaust manifold very corroded below the paint. Repro front grill (Curved in) Non overdrive and cracked steering wheel. Speedo jammed on 30mph.Incorrect temp gauge. All silly little details but should be taken into account if you are interested in it in terms of originality etc. Probably a nice car for all that.

Stuart.

Of concern is the front suspension bottom bump stop installed incorrectly. Having the closed side facing towards the wheel instead of the chassis would render the bump stop ineffective, and therefore a roadworthy defect.

The front disc brake caliper/dust cover as seen is unusual. Never seen calipers mounted at the top before, so looks like an aftermarket product. In some countries major brake modifications require an engineering report for registration.

When they say wider grille, that's not the overall width of the grille, but the openings in the pressing. Wider openings passed more air for cooling in hot climates.

Black was one of 4 original TR3B colours, although towards the end virtually any colour could be custom ordered.

Viv

I think the front suspension has been assembled completely wrong and needs the whole lot re-doing. The lower bumpstop is wrong and the caliper complete with water shield are fitted 90 degrees out."Bring a trailer!"

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Old story, any used car that needs fancy photography to help it sell is best left to folks with wadges of notes of odd denominations . . . .

Cheers

Alec

I'm keeping quiet on TR3's bought from auction. Stuart however, might be able to tell you a horror story or six based on mine.

I'm keeping quiet on TR3's bought from auction. Stuart however, might be able to tell you a horror story or six based on mine.

How much time have you got? :wacko:

Stuart.

I saw this car today.It has 14 inch wheels and an awful lot of orange peel on the black paint behind the bumpers etc.Seat retrim not the best and does not follow original pattern.Seemed to me dressed up for sale....very cosmetic! It did not convince.

Tom

I saw this car today.It has 14 inch wheels and an awful lot of orange peel on the black paint behind the bumpers etc.Seat retrim not the best and does not follow original pattern.Seemed to me dressed up for sale....very cosmetic! It did not convince.

Tom

One just like it convinced me - doh

Guys were all 3B's built as LHD originally ?

Guys were all 3B's built as LHD originally ?

It's hard to make any "rules" with a car like a TR3B, the program being put together as hastily as it was to respond to American dealers and with a lot else going on at S-T with the TR4 introduction. But that said, yes, all TR3Bs were LHD for the US market only.

Viv's our RHD-TR3B expert here -- he'll know more about any exception that proves the rule.

Edited by Don H.