TR4a inner door handle

Hi,

I am going to install TR4a inner door handles on my TR6 doors, does anyone know whether the part that fits in the door shell, that the retaining screws into is available, if so where can I get them? The original part number was FS 27584.

I will need 4 of them. I don't even know what they look like.

Your response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Dave Lewis

Hi Dave the small cage nuts you refer to have been unavailable for many years, they are about 1/4" square cage with a square 8/32 nut inside. Some people us a Landrover plastic insert and self tapper instead.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

Hi Dave,

if you try hunting these blighters down the number may actually be FS 2758 / 4. The first part being the style and the 4 = size.

I've looked everywhere and they just don't appear to exist - as Stuart states.

Hmmm - they must be make'able.

Roger

The captive nut isnt the problem it would be the sprung steel cage that would be hard. Roger if your doing them I`ll have 20.

Stuart.

I've been working on this problem.

1. There is a standard Metric captive nut easily available, which has a spring cage that is virtually the right size to fit a 4A door.

2. I have a bag full of 8-32 captive nuts but they are a bit too big. (You could file out the door to take these)

3. If you combined the two you would get the right nuts.

4. Now we come to the fixing screws. These have a non-standard head size. A normal 8-32 countersink screw would almost go through the handle.

5. You can get 2BA countesunk screws which have the right size head. I rethreaded one of these to 8-32, by single-point thread cutting on a lathe because I did not have a die at the time and had one missing. Thre are easier things to do!

6. For a TR6 door, I'd use 2BA Rivnuts and off the shelf 2BA countersunk screws. This would be pretty easy to do and strong.

7. I might be persuaded to make the 8-32 screws, I do have the proper dies now. Its cutting the slots thats tedious.

Edited by AlanT

The correct screws are readily available from all the usual suspects. Part number 510799 What is needed is the correct cage nuts to fit the original square holes in the door.

Stuart.

F.W.I.W. The original S-T number was as Roger Stated FS 2758 / 4 however the suffix refers not to the size but to the protective finish. S-T applied the same generic suffixes to their standard fixings &

/4 is Chromate Passivated Electro Plated Zinc (usually yellow in colour)

/8 is 2 Coats of Zinc Chromate (usually Olive Green in Colour)

/9 is 1 coat of Zinc Chromate (a paler Olive green in colour)

Hi all,

This is getting complicated. All I want are the cage nuts x4 that will take the original screws I have on order, which are what Stuart says part number 510799.

Kind Regards,

Dave

The cage nut shown by Alan at the bottom could easily be mod'd to fit.

Prise over one end, remove mm plate, fit new plate with 8-32 thread

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your response. Could the nut be drilled and re tapped? On my order it states Chrome Screw CSK.#8 does this denote it as 8mm? pardon my ignorance me and metric don't get on.

Regards,

Dave

M4 is a tiny bit bigger than 8-32. So if you re -tapped M4 to 8-32, the screws would be rather loose.

Probably too loose. You do need a sound fixing here. It will get a fair amount of waggling about.

You could try M4 countersunk screws but the heads may be a bit small for the handles.

If you have TR6 doors do they have the punch out for the 4A handles?

If not then you can make holes to suit bigger cage-nuts.

This is easy or hard depending on what tools you have.

There is no simple off-the shelf answer to this. One way or another you have to alter or adapt something.

You can take your pick which it is.

M4 is a tiny bit bigger than 8-32. So if you re -tapped M4 to 8-32, the screws would be rather loose.

Probably too loose. You do need a sound fixing here. It will get a fair amount of waggling about.

You could try M4 countersunk screws but the heads may be a bit small for the handles.

If you have TR6 doors do they have the punch out for the 4A handles?

If not then you can make holes to suit bigger cage-nuts.

This is easy or hard depending on what tools you have.

There is no simple off-the shelf answer to this. One way or another you have to alter or adapt something.

You can take your pick which it is.

Hi Allan,

Thanks, Yes the square holes are on the door same centres as the 4. If I got a smaller screw nut then drilled it out, then re tapped to take a 8-32 csk screw. that would do?

Regards,

Dave

Yes Dave that would do it just a case of finding the right nut. It often can take me a year to find the correct nuts for this job so your doing well!

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

Regards,

Dave

I just did this job, used nylon inserts for the square Hole and tapered self tappers that fit perfect in the holes in the door handles. Was worried that this would not be strong enough, not fit properly etc but it worked like a dream. I think I have enough nylon inserts and self tappers left so send me a message and I will post it out to you. Only thing is that I used nylon inserts I bought from Revington and the one's which are leftover are some extra which are meant for a Land Rover, the one's from Revington are white/clear coloured and the Land Rover one's are black, looks the same though so should fit just as good.

Edited by TRseks

I just did this job, used nylon inserts for the square Hole and tapered self tappers that fit perfect in the holes in the door handles. Was worried that this would not be strong enough, not fit properly etc but it worked like a dream. I think I have enough nylon inserts and self tappers left so send me a message and I will post it out to you. Only thing is that I used nylon inserts I bought from Revington and the one's which are leftover are some extra which are meant for a Land Rover, the one's from Revington are white/clear coloured and the Land Rover one's are black, looks the same though so should fit just as good.

Thanks very much for your Kind offer. I have PM'd you.

Kind Regards,

Dave

• 11 months later...

Just following up on this old thread. I have ordered some cage nuts, M4 nuts look similar outside dimensions to original slot. I have also ordered some M4 slotted head raised head countersunk screws.

Will let you know how I get on but this maybe the easiest option as I think they all come to a grand total of £3.60 and that was for 10 of each. All off fleebay.

Regards

Steven