dual mufflers or single muffler?

About to order a new exhaust system for my TR4A. There are two options available, the single muffler that goes crosswise to the chassis or the two inline mufflers. Is there any preference of one system over the other?

I'm sure I read some discussion on this (a long, long time ago), which suggested that although the later twin-box system was quieter and, in theory, more efficient in terms of power, the single box system preferred by Stuart was in practice actually better for performance. No idea about the cross-box except that I don't like them aesthetically.

It was actually the earlier 4As that were fitted with a rear silencer, 'Y' piece and twin rear boxes. the "more efficient" cross box single rear silencer was fitted as from July 1966 at chassis CT/CTC70000. I also prefer the straight through large bore system, mine is Phoenix stainless. I'm no exhaust expert but can't see how turning the gases twice in succession through a right angle can be more efficient.

Tim

It was actually the earlier 4As that were fitted with a rear silencer, 'Y' piece and twin rear boxes. the "more efficient" cross box single rear silencer was fitted as from July 1966 at chassis CT/CTC70000. I also prefer the straight through large bore system, mine is Phoenix stainless. I'm no exhaust expert but can't see how turning the gases twice in succession through a right angle can be more efficient.

Tim

Yes that was my thought also, that there would be more resistance do to the 90 degree turns.