Question on Replacement Lower Front Valance

I am restoring a TR4A and have to replace the upper and lower front valances which I think were damaged when the car was towed. The old panels were badly bent so I bought repro ones thinking they would be an easy replacement. Not so, the new panels vary a lot from the originals especially the upper valance.

I have an original TR250 upper valance which seems to be the same as the original 4A one and is a much better fit with the inner wings than the repro. So I plan to use that with the repro lower panel. The original upper panel is basically flat but the repro lower one has a bow in it. If I place the upper panel on a flat surface facing upwards the gap between the surface and the lower edge of the panel, across the flanges where the dip for the starting handle is, measures 2 inches.

From pictures in the Practical Classic TR Guide the front valance looks straight and as I have no confidence in the repro panels being accurate I am uncertain which is correct. Is the repro panel distorted or has the original just flattened out? The repro upper valance I purchased has a slight bend in it but nothing like the lower one. If it should be bowed does anyone know what the gap I have measured should be?

Grateful for any help on this

Graham

Graham,

I am sure Stuart will along to give good advice, but the repro lower valance panel is poor. I think it should be flat to match the upper, mine had to be cut down the centre and a patch welded in. A job for a proffesional panel beater I think?

Cheers

Graeme

I have tried to avoid fitting repro front and rear valances as they are both pretty poor and have had to straighten out some pretty badly mangled ones in consequence. FWIW the upper panel isnt 100% flat though its not got much curve but the lower one has a little bit more of a curve. The repros tend not to be wide enough. A good grill will help you set the panel right.

Stuart.

Hi Graham

Some of the repro lower valances are folded inaccurately at the top edge so need to be flattened and revolved. The profile is also wrong right to left. The profile top to bottom isn't bad, but it does vary across the length.

If you have an awful one send it back from whence it came I suggest.

You may also want to look for an original panel, either to fit or get dimensions from.

Regards

Tony

Measured across at the top of the lower section where it returns to meet the upper section is 46.1/8"

Stuart.