Cantrails for TR2/3/3/3A/3B Hardtops

CANTRAILS FOR FACTORY TR2/3/3A/3B HARDTOPS

This notice appeared in the latest TR Action (#282, May 2015), but is repeated here for the benefit of Forum members who may not have had time to read the magazine.

I should explain that I am not the member who has doggedly pursued this trail for the last couple of years, but I know who he is, and I can vouch that he is a true enthusiast!

Ian Cornish

For those who are perplexed, these are the alloy gutters fitted to the sides of the hardtop to direct rainwater away from the sidescreens and/or the pilot and passenger! Part numbers 802611 (LH) and 802612 (RH).

These parts have not been available for considerable time, but a club member (CM) who is restoring a factory hardtop has found a supplier who can make these parts, and so CM will be ordering a set in a couple of months’ time.

If there were sufficient demand, CM would arrange a short production run to help spread the initial set-up costs, and if there were 10 members interested, an estimated cost per set would be £70, plus P&P and VAT. Although somewhat unwieldy, they could be shipped to any TR member world wide.

If interested please, e-mail: trcantrails@yahoo.co.uk

So why couldnt the SDF have participated in this exercise ?

Stuart.

I have some on mine, they are a tatty and don't seem to want to polish up. As with all things TR, are all steel lids the same size and will they fit ?

From the very start, the SDF has been prepared to assist should the individual involved require the funding.

At the moment, we are waiting to see how great the demand will be, and will take it from there.

Ian Cornish

I have some on mine, they are a tatty and don't seem to want to polish up. As with all things TR, are all steel lids the same size and will they fit ?

Yes they should fit.

Stuart.

As a slight thread derail, for anyone serious about a hardtop restoration, Mark Macy has tooled up to produce a good acrylic rear window for the factory top. His shop is located just outside Dayton, Ohio, and there's a lot of aircraft stuff nearby (a holdover from those local boys, the Wright Brothers, and the big US Wright-Patterson Air Force Base there.) He works with a producer of aircraft canopies for his hardtop rear lights. Not cheap at $595, and as always with his shop, international shipping would need to be organized separately by the buyer. But knowing Mark, and having seen the parts and the tooling, these are probably the best available by a good margin.

There seems to be a welcome trend to getting more hardtops back in service -- and therefore more four-season use of sidescreen cars? Too bad they didn't have us 6' 6" drivers in mind when they made that. Maybe I need a bubble in the top, like TR4Tony's...

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/Parts/other_tr2_3_parts.htm

Doyle1364s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Posting here just to push the topic to the top of the list so that anyone who has been on holiday or beneath the TR may have the opportunity to respond!

Ian Cornish

I'm in the proces of restoring a hardtop for my TR3. The top I have has the cantrails, which I'm assuming are OK but nevertheless would be interested in a potential supply. I'm also interested in a rear window as mine is missing.

Cheers,

Jeff