New to the Forum - My 1963 Tr4

Hi Andy

I can see your attention for detail must come from your present employment.

Well done .

Have you any before pics would love to see them

Mark.

Hello Mark

I don't have many of the very start but here's one or two coupled with a few more whilst it was at its worst when I was doing some welding work on the sills

Regards Andy

post-13433-0-19024000-1431726319_thumb.jpg

post-13433-0-50650300-1431726327_thumb.jpg

post-13433-0-30102200-1431726363_thumb.jpg

post-13433-0-05166900-1431726375_thumb.jpg

Andy, Well Done !

I was your age when buying my first Triumph (GT6 mk1). I have always enjoyed the fact that i started young. There's some much to do and fun to experience, live's too short anyway, start as soon as possible ;)

Take the TR for a spin crossing the Alps for instance ! It sure looks like it !

Great one Andy!

I too was only 21or 22 when I bought my 4A. Don't get too sentimental with it, or it'll become 'family'. I've still got mine 34 years later. My son's 24 and doesn't seem interested at all :-(

A very warm welcome Andy. You are to be congratulated on what looks to be a fine job you've done restoring the car yourself, especially if you'd not seen another TR4 in the flesh ! I note you did it in your spare time. It must have taken a while ? I trust it will give great pleasure. With regard to your other post, my TR4 engine shows 180 compression so you were spot on.

Thanks for joining the Forum, we need the viewpoint of a few more young guns.

A very warm welcome Andy. You are to be congratulated on what looks to be a fine job you've done restoring the car yourself, especially if you'd not seen another TR4 in the flesh ! I note you did it in your spare time. It must have taken a while ? I trust it will give great pleasure. With regard to your other post, my TR4 engine shows 180 compression so you were spot on.

Thanks for joining the Forum, we need the viewpoint of a few more young guns.

Hello Trevor

It did take a while, I started it when I was 19, having not long started my apprenticeship I was learning on the go. Having it at work however meant I had access to a ramp and all my tools. As well as the creature comforts of warmth from our workshop heater.

It all came together really over the last year or so. Once I had got the sills completed.

Would you suggest such high compression is a problem?

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

A belated welcome to the Forum, you have a great car there. Along with others, my interest in TRs started when I was 20, my first TR4A being my daily driver for three years.

I would suggest that 180 psi compression is fine for these engines, 220 being on the high side. Is the gauge being used accurate, the main thing is that all cylinders are similar.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Hi Andy,

No I don't think the 220 compression is a problem in itself. Might be a bit smoother with lower compression, more road car than a racer. However it doesn't sound like you have had any issues with it in practice. One of the TR Suppliers, I think Revingtons, offer a choice of thicker head gaskets which will of course lower the compression, so you could always make enquiries with them if it becomes an issue. No idea how much they charge for such an item.