TR8 Ride Height

As I go through sorting out the various issues, my new to me TR8 was fitted with new tyres all round, (the old ones were 24 years old) and new shocks and springs. The tyres are 205/60X13 and I replaced them with the same. I think these are providing roughly the same diameter as the original 185/70R13's.

I was already having some difficulty getting over the speed bumps in my road, when 2 of us were in the car. The handling was pretty terrible - very American and like steering a boat around corners. I duly ordered new standard shocks and springs from Robsport and fitted them. However, now the ride height is so low I am bottoming out on Shropshire's uneven roads, creating lots of sparks. The handling has improved appreciably though. I do have a non standard exhaust fitted with the 2 silencers underneath the main passenger compartment instead of being tucked up behind it, so that does not help.

I read that the standard ride height of a TR7 is 13.75" from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch lip, going vertical. Mine are 12" at the front and 12.2" at the rear. Does anyone know what the TR8 should be? I had Robsport measure some cars and all were around 13.5", except a converted TR8 they had which is also 12".

I am thinking of replacing the exhaust to increase ground clearance, but can anyone help with the ride height question? I have not measured the lengths of the springs, but the ones on there before must have been slightly longer.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Mark,

I had my wheel arch lips rolled so the wheel disappears inside the arch. The springs were custom made by for Revington.

I'll measure the ride height and let you know.

Jo

Hi Mark,

standard TR8 springs and shock absorbers, even when they are new,.aren't exactly a lot of bottle . . . . save for boulevard cruising.

Skip fodder, in plain English.

Stiffer springs and shocks will help cope with speed bumps (which were not part of the original design parameters), and improve handling, same goes for uprated anti roll bars back and front.

A skid plate welded onto the silencers might be a boon too. But should not be necessary with a sensible exhaust system.

Silencers have to be carefully positioned, if they're in the wrong place then relocate them . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Thanks MadMarx and Alec,

3.5'' ground clearance may be about right then if I replace the exhaust. Not a lot is it. I will take some pictures but the car is not at my home at the moment. The issue is ride height rather than handling now. The trouble I saw with stiffer springs were that they were also lowered which was not going to help. The handling now is good or good enough with standard springs and shocks. I do not want a rock hard ride. The polybushes have firmed things up as well.

Driving alone makes a difference. Last week I took the car to Donnington and on the Shropshire roads on the way back I kept bottoming out, even on middles of the road cats eyes, although the road was cambered and road works lowered one side of the road.

Mark

Minimum ground clearance should be a whisker under 4" fully laden . . . . . .

Unfortunately repro 'standard' springs and shock absorbers vary in calibre, and do not necessarily match the original specification.

Worn suspension (and steering) rubber won't help either, poly bushes (Superpro or Superflex only) improve handling significantly, and it's worth checking that the anti-roll bars are working properly !

Cheers

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

My TR8 was back home today and so I took the opportunity to measure the ride height. At the lowest point of the silencers, the height is 2.5'' with no-one in the car, hence the scraping of the exhaust on speed bumps etc. I took some photos and attach one of them.

I need to fit a new exhaust at some point. Are there any recommendations? The original quiet version is probably my choice in stainless.

Thanks,

Mark

post-13219-0-01631100-1432317980_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

that photo explains a lot, not a very clever system with the silencer inappropriately located . . . . .

Simon at Robsport and Steve or Rick at S&S are usually reliable with advice on V8 equipped cars - they're all old pals, by all means mention that I suggested them. Won't earn me anything, for my sins, but they might be helpful !

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec, yes I will give them a call. Robsport have been very helpful so far on questions and orders. I have not tried S and S yet.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a rimmer bros stainless system on my Tr7 V8 classic rally car. it's only got the single rear silencer box on each bank of cylinders. I think rimmers call it the loud/noisey system but I don't find it too loud at all.

I use mikalor type clamps on the joiners.

I had some custom springs made and use 15 inch wheels so I don't have any ground clearance problems.

Ray.

My recently imported TR8 on lowered springs (unknown) A bit joggly on country roads. Used set came with car (probably originals)

ebay-left-side-full2_zpsvbdlc6vt.png

My TR7 with new 'standard' springs from S&S.. now too high.. soon to go on MGF 15" wheels, poss V8 conversion.. any advice on springs appreciated..

FullSizeRender%2028_zpsys8uypaa.jpg

Edited by tr8steve
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I am having similar issues grinding my TR6 away on the well maintained roads in Herefordshire. In the course of my travels I came across http://www.testedspring.co.uk/home.asp, when speaking to them they make springs to order, at about £50'ish each depending on what you want - about a 10 day turnaround.

So if you cannot get the spring rating and length you need from stock items it is no too expensive to go the custom route.

I have no connection with them.

Alan

Thanks for the advice Alan. I have just sourced a stainless Rimmers exhaust which needs fitting. Based on this I will find out if I still have a problem. The advice from Robsport was to keep everything standard to avoid too firm a ride, but I am not impressed with the low cost rear shocks. I think I need to upgrade these to at least stiffer gas ones.

TR8Steve,

Would you be able to measure the ride height from centre of bottom of wheel arch to the ground on your TR8 please? Your car looks in very good condition. Can we see the interior?

Thanks,

Mark