Strang parts in sump and groove in brake discs

By changing the oil of my TR4A (late 1967), I found 2 parts of 9 mm width and 1,5 mm thickness (see picture IMG_7682), which were sticked to the magnetic drain plug. I have driven 30.000 miles with the car in the last 6 years and cannot trace from where these parts are coming from. Any ideas?

I also have a on the innerside of the 2 disc brakes a groove (see picture IMG_7215). What is the cause and how can I remediate it?

Thanks for the help.

Jean-Marie Raedts

post-7345-0-33510700-1430920511_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-37799700-1430920566_thumb.jpg

Bits could be from the strainer over the oil pump pickup

Discs on full lock catching the trunion bolt. Adjust the stop

Roy

Re groove in discs, are you missing parts 84 and 85 sown in link below

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID200337

Which would allow disc to touch trunnion bolt as Roy states

Cheers

Guy

The car looks to be missing the lockstop on the trunion. - That will be the groove in disc problem solved.

As the car is a 4A the following are needed. Guy's link is to TR2-4.

items 74/75/76

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID200352

The lock stop of a 4A-6 (156111) is taller than the TR2-4

156111 is the concentric type from the TR6 so not adjustable.

Peter W

PS Can not work out what the metal in the sump are - thank heavens for a magnetic drain plug, stop the bits floating about.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I had the same problem after a rebuild of the suspension on my TR6, only on the left side where the disc was hitting the trunnion bolt and the anti roll bar was hitting the wheel rim, not sure why this developed as it was not a problem before the rebuild. Anyway the lock stop was there but not the adjustable/concentric type, problem was solved with welding extra material on the lock stop piece.

Thank you for your inputs. In the weekend I can look at the (missing?) stops and I made already an appointment with the garage to remove the sump and look where these strange parts may come from.

Jean-Marie Raedts

I think the two bits of metal are from the petrol pump lever pivot.

Peter W

I found where the strange parts are coming from. They are securing plates to hold the axis of the after market fuel pump I installed in 2011 (see picture). The axis of this pump doesn't pass through the side walls as with the original AC Delco pump. So no leakage at that point, but the axis is held in its position by the 2 strange parts, which after 12.000 miles came out their sittings. Fortunately the level itself came not out yet, if that part came between the con rod and the liner, it was a disaster.

It is again proven, when you exchange an original part with an after market one, you decrease the level of quality. I have that experience with my dynamo (broke down after 11 months), bumpers (40 mm, yes forty deviation in dimension), ... I replaced the old fuel pump by an old AC Delco one, it will be a much more reliable.

The other problem of the groove in the brake disk was indeed caused by the missing stops as suggested (one of the fixing bolts was broken).

Thanks for your support.

Jean-Marie Raedts

post-7345-0-89770600-1431414586_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much for this thread. My mate in Buderim Australia found the same bits in his sump and everyone was lost as to where they came from. Your information saved the day as he had fitted an after market pump 12 months ago and this is exactly what had happened to his car. All good now he has refitted original pump.