Engine cut out after an hour

Hi,

I've been having some bother with a recurring problem.... In a nutshell, after a reasonably long stint driving, the engine just cuts, and won't restart for about 45 mins. There doesn't appear to be any warning, power is fine, sounds good (as ever!) and the gauges are showing normal.... Is there anything I should be looking out for? We're taking the car over to France on hols this year so keen to get this issue resolved!!

Many thanks

Chris

Look for ignition coil, condenser, finger and fuel pump

these are the most suspicious for that.

If you want to play switch car off when it happens and open

carb and look for fuel in the bowl.

If its empty the fun is fuel related otherwise ignition is suspect.

On your TR6,the ignition system is a “contact points set + Condenser” or an “electronic module” ?

If this is an electronic module, you may suspect the module.

FYI, I face the same issue with a Piranaha after 15 years and I switched to an Accuspark module(and for the price I have a second one on the boot).

Nevertheless, as suggested by Andreas, you have also to investigate on the coil side, test the basics parameters, check the coherence with the ignition system (the right impedance vs the type of ignition system), the correct wiring (+ & -) and voltage (Ballast 6V vs non ballast 12V).

Is the fuel pump mechanic or electronic?

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Hi Chris, if its not electrical, a good source once told me if your return from the Metering unit to the tank may be blocked, it can cut out after a run.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Chris, I see your TR6 is equipped w/ a supercharger, did you have carbs, original PI Lucas system ou an EFI?

Regards

Hi Chris,

Try bypassing the fuel pump cutout switch near the wiper motor. I've had the engine cut out suddenly with no warning, no misfiring, due to that going open circuit.

Electronic ignition would be on my list too.

Hope you'll bring your car to the IWE, there'll be a tech session on supercharged TRs.

Peter

Have you checked that the fuel filler cap vent is not blocked?

Could be vacuum build up in tank.

Try opening the cap when the problem occurs , big suck of air indicates lack of venting.

Steve

Hi Chris,

Try bypassing the fuel pump cutout switch near the wiper motor. I've had the engine cut out suddenly with no warning, no misfiring, due to that going open circuit.

Electronic ignition would be on my list too.

Hope you'll bring your car to the IWE, there'll be a tech session on supercharged TRs.

Peter

I had this a couple of years ago on the way to Le Man and it turned out to be the cut out switch.worth a check ;)

Hi Pete,

Having been through the box of docs that came with the car, I believe the ignition system is labelled as a lumination electronic ignition supplied by Moss.

Per the suggestions, I will check all these bits out as and when it happens again... And update if there are any findings!!

Peter- I hope we will be at the IWE, we arrive back from Spain with the car on the Friday, so I am sure I can work out a way that Malvern is on the way back to SE London from Portsmouth!

Peter- I hope we will be at the IWE, we arrive back from Spain with the car on the Friday, so I am sure I can work out a way that Malvern is on the way back to SE London from Portsmouth!

Chris,

Then we really must get this sorted !

I used to pull and push the button on the top of the cutout switch to get the engine going again. After the third failure I removed it.

Peter

Hi Pete,

Having been through the box of docs that came with the car, I believe the ignition system is labelled as a lumination electronic ignition supplied by Moss.

Per the suggestions, I will check all these bits out as and when it happens again... And update if there are any findings!!

OK, well I know there are fans of Lumenition but I had one fail in exactly the way you describe. Mine was the optical type with a separate electronic unit in a finned alloy box. I proved it by running until it failed then cooling it with a fan, whereupon it worked again - for a while. I don't want to damn the product, that would be unfair because there are users who have had no problems. It's a possibility in your case though if it's the same unit fitted.

Edited by peejay4A

OK, well I know there are fans of Lumenition but I had one fail in exactly the way you describe. Mine was the optical type with a separate electronic unit in a finned alloy box. I proved it by running until it failed then cooling it with a fan, whereupon it worked again - for a while. I don't want to damn the product, that would be unfair because there are users who have had no problems. It's a possibility in your case though if it's the same unit fitted.

Exactly the same phenomena and way to prove it with a Piranha electronic ignition system.

Based on the various post, the suspects are on the side of the Ignition system (Ignition module, coil) and fuel system (Full pump cutout switch, Filter and fuel filler cap vent), not a bid deal to solve and then enjoy your car.

Regards

Last year it drove me half crazy before finding out it was an only 2 years old Lumenition Optronic system that had broken down ( It was bought as a kit including the coil, so nothing wrong in the setup). It didn't cut out at once, just getting gradually worse after driving 45-60 min., causing really bad misfiring.

Last year it drove me half crazy before finding out it was an only 2 years old Lumenition Optronic system that had broken down ( It was bought as a kit including the coil, so nothing wrong in the setup). It didn't cut out at once, just getting gradually worse after driving 45-60 min., causing really bad misfiring.

It's done it three times, first after a whole day driving, second after about 3/4 hours and the last time 45 mins... No misfiring, however there was a strong petrol smell and I have noticed a ticking sound which speeds up with the revs... Not sure if any of these are related!

If it were the fuel pump cut-out switch failing I dont think you'd smell petrol. To me its looking more like loss of sparks, so you get unburned petrol smell.

Where is the ticking sound coming from? engine or rear of car?

Following on from AndyM : get a red rotor arm from Disy Doctor, the black ones can be dodgy.

And if you can refit points etc that probably the best test of the electronics.

Perhaps a local member can help?

Peter

Has the ticking increased over time? Do you loose power before it cuts out?

If it were the fuel pump cut-out switch failing I dont think you'd smell petrol. To me its looking more like loss of sparks, so you get unburned petrol smell.

Where is the ticking sound coming from? engine or rear of car?

Following on from AndyM : get a red rotor arm from Disy Doctor, the black ones can be dodgy.

And if you can refit points etc that probably the best test of the electronics.

Perhaps a local member can help?

Peter

The ticking is coming from the front of the car, I only noticed it after the last time it cut out... I'll try and do a bit more digging after work tomorrow

Has the ticking increased over time? Do you loose power before it cuts out?

It's there as soon as I fire up the car, I first noticed after the last cut out.... So it's relatively recent...When the car cuts, it drops a little power but this happens very quickly - I can tell it's about to do it.... and then just stops and then I coast to somewhere hopefully safe!

As your car is supercharged, do you have an electric pump mounted in the engine bay somewhere? My Facet electric pump ticks sometime when it gets hot.

Cheers

Graeme