Hello,
I recently acquired a TR3A basket case that has been sitting under a tarp for 20 yrs outside, behind a shop. I'm going through what is there, what isn't and what has been hacked up. The engine is free and putting a battery in shows the electrical system somewhat functional. I pulled the plugs and re-oiled the rocker arms. The old oil looked clear and new. Without a key, I attempted to jump the ignition switch and spin the engine. When I push the starter button, I just get a large click from the voltage regulator. I thought it might be the starter so I pulled it. It turned freely and looks almost new. Is there a way, in the engine compartment, to spin the starter or even attempt to start the car by bypassing or connecting a manual hand help push button. I've had 6's in the past so I'm excited about our new acquisition. I thought I'd ad a shot of what I'm starting with to give you all hope that there are people out there still crazy enough to save these beautiful cars.
Thanks and Cheers!

post-13397-0-72478400-1429446262_thumb.jpg

Kevin - the large click you hear is probably the starter solenoid switch pulling in, rather than the regulator. That is the silver tubular device below the regulator box and connected directly to the battery by the thick cable. As Graham says, you can manually operate it If you push on the end with the rubber boot but if the internal contacts have corroded it might not work.

Rob

Welcome to real TR ownership.

Your car looks road ready to me save a bit of puff in the tyres......

So the engine turns. That is an absolute bonus on a car that has stood for any period of time.

You sound like you know all the starting tricks like clean new fuel, sparks and static timing. Shewing it the tow rope and dragging round the block.

Keep us posted.

Peter. W

As you probably know you can easily hot wire the TR by linking terminals A1 to A3 on the fuse box. That supplies battery power direct to the ignition switch controlled side of the circuit. Disconnect after use!!!

Wiring diagram

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Did you attempt to rotate the starter motor armature? Big sq nut on the front end of the starter that may be covered by a round cap that pulls off. Could be a flat on the starter commutator stopping starter from spinning.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT