TR4A year dating

Depending on how original it is then look at the dates on all the Lucas parts, read the dots on the windscreen and finally get a heritage certificate if you want to know exact dates. By the chassis number I take it that its a solid axle 4a which is the same as I have. I dont have my book for the chassis number/year order here but I can check in the morning.

Stuart.

Hi

Given that the very latest TR4a were early July 1967 at Ctc 78600 etc and a production rate of approx 1500 per month your car could we'll be early 1967. Most USA import cars have 2 salient dates;

1. The factory build date in the UK ... Could be late 1966

2. The USA title registration date. .... Most likely early 1967

The gap is usually the shipping and dealer sale time.

My view is that you ought to go on the build dates from the production records, so getting a heritage TRace done from the BMIHT at Gaydon is the simplest route.

I had the very same issue on my last TR4. Built October 1964, registered in the USA January 1965. BMIHT records showed the original production date.

Regards

Tony

Depending on how original it is then look at the dates on all the Lucas parts, read the dots on the windscreen and finally get a heritage certificate if you want to know exact dates. By the chassis number I take it that its a solid axle 4a which is the same as I have. I dont have my book for the chassis number/year order here but I can check in the morning.

Stuart.

Stuart whats this about dots on the windscreen ???

my screen has ST logo on it, where are the dots??

best Pete.

Thanks Stan. This system was explained to me back in the sixties by one of the execs from Triplex who lived near to me at the time.Always used to amaze people who had never heard of it.

Stuart.

My car is a re-import and DVLA have designated a 1967 number to it but I think it might be earlier. Any tips on how to check? It is CT 67266L.

TBH I would have said your was a late 1966 as last car built that year was an IRS car CTC75000 (approx) It would have been registered as Tony says in the US as a 1967.

Stuart.