TR4 - window to windscreen frame gaps

I didn't pay too much attention when I fitted the windscreen. But now I see that I have a small clearance (at the top) between leading edge of window and the windscreen frame. And I have a much larger gap lower down.

I appreciate that it may be the tilt of the window, but at the B post area, the edge of the window seems nice and parallel with the vertical line of the hood. So, is there adjustment to the windscreen frame such that its tilt can be "adjusted"? I could of course slacken the frame and find out but would like to save myself wasted effort if I find no adjustment is possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Norman

Thanks Roger

Norman

Same here Norman I did the same and attempted an adjustment as suggested by Roger. By loosening the bolts on the legs of the screen frame in the A post some adjustment is allowed but no matter how hard I tried I am still left with a wider gap at the bottom than at the top but the windows close on the rubber seal. I took photographs throughout the rebuild but unfortunately none with the windows up originally.

Vic

Hi Norm/Vic,

there is also some adjustment on the centre pivot of the regulator.

Remove the door card, the nut in the middle will allow the regualtor to move up/down a fraction when slackened.

Anotherare of concern is - have you got the correct glass.

The TR4/4A are different from the 5/6. The bottom edge has a different angle.

If the back of the glass is in the correct place but the front is wrong then it is adjustment you require.

If the back is in the wrong place then you may have the wrong glass.

Roger

PS - have you taken measurements from the top of the screen frame to the 'B' posts on either side to see if there is a misalignment.

Edited by RogerH

I took photographs throughout the rebuild but unfortunately none with the windows up originally.

Vic

Vic,

Photos would have likely shown you that

the original fit was not all that good.

AlanR

As always, much food for thought, and good to know Its not just me!

My plan for the WE then is to take the measurements as suggested. Then see what adjustment to the frame might accomplish - now I know there should be some adjustment.

The glass shows quite a bit of wear and tear, and although not proof positive, suggests it's original.

So, many thanks guys.

Norman

The nuts on the bottom of the tubes do not make any difference to the angle of the frame. All they do is draw the frame down into the position that is determined by the angle of the brackets that are bolted to the inside of the "A" posts. Its the adjustment on them that you need to concentrate on to get the angle right.

Stuart.

Every Triumph I've ever had had this problem!

But I relieved it to a large extent on my present 4 by renewing the window lifters, the drivers door side was almost toothless and had slack in all directions, passenger side not so bad. The pivot pins were also worn out and I made new ones.

Mike

We had this a few weeks ago working on Pete Moffatts 5 try this,

Remove screen frame and take rubber off refit frame you can get the angle perfect even with bottom bolt tightened, remove frame again fit rubber and try again screen now pulling itself rearwards at the top, new rubber is thicker harder than original and when tightening the bottom bolt once the rubber starts to compress the screen starts to lean rearwards. So undid all screen bolts cut 3"x3" timber and fit between screen top and rear seat squab adjust timber till screen is slightly more forward at top than needed bolt up brackets tight but not bottom bolt,remove timber nowt should move shut door with window up now start to tighten bottom bolts soon as screen starts to move rearwards stop that enough. This took hrs and hrs so just passing on what we did may be worth a try Norm.

We had this a few weeks ago working on Pete Moffatts 5 try this,

Remove screen frame and take rubber off refit frame you can get the angle perfect even with bottom bolt tightened, remove frame again fit rubber and try again screen now pulling itself rearwards at the top, new rubber is thicker harder than original and when tightening the bottom bolt once the rubber starts to compress the screen starts to lean rearwards. So undid all screen bolts cut 3"x3" timber and fit between screen top and rear seat squab adjust timber till screen is slightly more forward at top than needed bolt up brackets tight but not bottom bolt,remove timber nowt should move shut door with window up now start to tighten bottom bolts soon as screen starts to move rearwards stop that enough. This took hrs and hrs so just passing on what we did may be worth a try Norm.

Tis what I told the old fart to do :lol:

Just want to say Thanks for all the advice and experience - although having taken my car for its maiden longish trip of 250 miles yesterday I find i have a more pressing problem! I wont go off topic here, but suffice to say it has really bad vibration at more than 40mph that needs sorting mega urgent.

Window gaps will have to wait awhile, but info gratefully logged into the few remaining grey cells.

Norman

• 1 year later...

I noticed that when I purchased new door glasses some years ago the angle of leading edge door glass to windscreen frame wasn't as good as the original. Like Roger said, I did manage to get some adjustment on the regulator but not perfect. Unlikely to be screen frame angle I would have thought.

Kevin