Side repeaters

Afternoon All

Out in the Man Cave playing with the car, wondering how to replace or repair the Side indicators as the Chrome is pants. I ended up replacing the front ones as I couldn't repair.

Rimmers only show one side in stock and have done for ages.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Mark

I know your pain. When I bought my TR6 a few years ago, I noticed it had the US style jewelled side repeaters without chrome and kept meaning to change them for the chromed GB versions. Simple job right? Oh nooooo. Rimmer's have the LH chrome side repeater lens - which looks great. As you say, they don't have the RH version. I spoke to them about this about a month ago and they are 'out of manufacture' with no word on when they might be 'in manufacture'. So Rimmers also do a non-chrome version for RH. However they've used a slightly different strength of amber dye in the manufacturing, which makes it slightly darker than the chromed one. But you can only really tell when you hold them side by side. Still with me? So I bought the non-chromed RH version and used a strip of tinfoil (yes tinfoil!) and Unibond 100% Power Glue (clear glue for exterior use on plastics etc) to stick the foil around the outside edge of the lens. The results aren't too bad at all and walking past the car or even close-up you'd never tell. This is only a temporary measure until I can get the proper version from Rimmers. Putting the foil on the inside of the lens doesn't work as the amber is too dark. I believe some have also tried metallic silver paint (Rustoleum or similar). Welcome to the miserable world of TR6 chromed side repeater lenses ;-)

I got a pair of the Rimmer 'chromed' ones recently, a poor repro. IMHO that looks nothing like the original and so I don't recommend them. Keep looking for some NOS ones if you want to look original.

What I did instead, was get a set of the 'Lucas' branded ones you see on eBay, which are plain orange colour throughout but look otherwise correct as regards the lens pattern and colour. I then bought some of this: http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html (the ordinary chrome version looks best). I then applied it to the edges and varnished it to seal it. Nice, and looks like it probably should have done, had Triumph used a proper chrome metal surround instead of the cheap and nasty two tone plastic moulding solution that they went for.

So not entirely OE but looks good to me.

AWM

• 2 weeks later...