up loading photos

Thx Bob. Ill try but never have been able to upload pics on this site.....others, no problem.

Clay trap working brilliantly....

Dick

According to "a photo says more than thousand words"

I tried to explain with photos more often.

After a very short number I can not add more.

When I delet an old one I may add another....

Unfortunately I do not remember where my photos are added....

Hi Dick,

At 1.2MB the image file size is quite large, but if you haven't uploaded any other photos, then there should be space (as the limit is 2MB I believe), so I don't know quite what is happening for you. Here's the process that I follow:

1. Before you compose your message, click on the "More Reply Options" button, that is to the right of the "Post" button below where you type your post.

2. Under the text box that appears, you should see "Attach Files", and to the right of that a "Browse" button. Click "Browse" and navigate to where your picture is located.

3. Click on the picture file you wish to upload and the link to that picture should appear before "Browse".

4. Click on the "Attach this File" button under the link to the picture. When you've done that you should see a small version of the image appear above where it says "Attach Files".

5. Where that small image appears, look along to the right of that and you should see an "Add to Post" button. Click that and the link to the picture should appear in your text box, and the photo should be visible when you complete the post.

If you are already following those steps, then I'm not sure what the trouble is.

If you want to drop me a PM, I'll send you my email address so that you can send the picture to me if you wish. I could then resize the file for you to make it easier to upload, if that helps.

Darren

Roger sent me these instructions to delete Photos and it Worked.

1)Click on Name,Top Right of Screen.

2)Click on Settings.

3)Click Manage Attachments on the Lefthand Side.

4) Tick any Picture you wish to Remove and Click Delete.

Thx to all, I have now sorted this, had to delete previous photos to create space.....did not even know that they were there or had a cumulative effect.

Dick

Avid picture posters are using 3rd party photo sites like Photobucket to put the picture on, then pasting the link in the relevant post here.

If you go through old posts with the search option, with a title like 'posting pictures' or 'posting photos' you might find the discussion where forum members have told us how to use it/them.

Repechage:

The other aspect of putting a photo up is it doesn't need to be as big as it was in the camera.

Your 1.2Meg photo is about the same size as my camera puts out.

I use a program called IrfanView (most photo programs let you alter the size) to shrink it down to 640x480 or less, then put it into photobucket and then paste the link into the forum post.

You don't have to keep pulling old photos out of your posts doing it this way.

Edited by littlejim

Hi Dick,

the site is what it is. The TRR pay for a certain amount of facilities.

When it first came on line it was pretty good but is now lacking.

Other areas of the website are also blessed with problems.

The answer is to get another website - and that my friends is what is being done.

The new site is not just a little bit better, it isn't even a lot better, it will be mega better.

The GL's will be able to see what is in store next month (April) so get your questions into them.

In May or there abouts it will come on line.

Not sure about the photo size problem, but all areas are improved so here's hoping.

Somebody has sweated cobs to get this off the ground.

Roger

Thanks for that information Roger, it will be a great boon if it becomes easier to upload photos, as some of us have given up a long time ago and it is such a shame that we can't share at times.

As some of you may recall, I also had this Forum Software at one time for a group of my people and eventually, we just ditched it for the photo reason.

Thanks to those who are looking into it.

Dave.

• 7 months later...

Other areas of the website are also blessed with problems.

The answer is to get another website - and that my friends is what is being done.

The new site is not just a little bit better, it isn't even a lot better, it will be mega better.

Not sure about the photo size problem, but all areas are improved so here's hoping.

Somebody has sweated cobs to get this off the ground.

Roger

Obviously not enough of the right cobs.

Just went to upload some pictures to correctly illustrate a technical topic "a picture is worth a thousand words", only to find the old maxed out tiny limit still applies. So I have a choice delete a picture that I think is important detail to an old post, or not bother.

So we have a fancy new web site, that publishes peoples full personal details by default when they put something on for sale and wanted, but the area that I recon most active members use the most "The Forum" is still back in Windows 3.1 5-1/4" floppy technology.

Can we have a vote if Register Members want this improved?

And don't suggest I use an external photo hosting service, I have one, but I hate the fact that you can guarantee if you read a topic from a while back that people have forgotten and have moved or removed pictures and the links are broken, you then end up with critial detail missing.

Storage is so cheap these days its stupid. A days coffee money at Register Headquarters would cover the cost of 10TB of on-line storage including backup at the hosting company I use.

Alan

I must admit that searching olde posts, then finding none of the pics is annoying

......nearly as annoying as standing in a pub, taking a pic of a pint, then logging into photobucket, then copying, then logging into t'forum, then pasting !

In fact, a picture says more than a thousand words, especially if English is mot your mother language.. :( what's my case.

And if you are in some way a computer illiterate, me again, life becomes more difficult from day to day. What makes me pi**s off are things that work one day do not work anymore the next day.

On the old forum I had no problems to transfer pictures from photobucket to this site, but now, whatever I do the result is nil... :angry:

There might be more than one reason... W10.. MS defender.. internet security.. and what more, you name it.

Since the introduction of the New Forum I was unable to add pictures to posts, now I even don't try if I still can.

But after some investigation I noticed that to my great surprise all my old, deleted pictures were all back in my storage what filled it up to it's allowed capacity.

On the other hand, and I'm probably not the only one who thinks so, this forum is overloaded with members that NEVER produced one single post and probably never had a look at the forum after they registered. Imagine how many MB of storage capacity is wasted this way.

Maybe I'm wrong, contradictions and other opinions are welcome.. :)

Edited by jean

This is such a common complaint -- probably the number 1 complaint about the forum, perhaps it's time we took a shot a doing something to respond to the many members who struggle to use photographs in their posts.

It would surprise me if we didn't have photo hosting options that were well within our budgets. Perhaps we have the help we need onboard already? We have some serious IT folk in our community, and a few who operate their own forums on other subjects.

(That said, I save all my images on SmugMug, and it's the easiest thing in the world to get a URL to every photo I've taken since 1972 and pop it into a forum post. I highly recommend a photo hosting service for anyone who has a lot of photographs.)

It's a limitation imposed by the Forum admin.

Other forums that use the same IPboard software have lifted the limitations on all images.

IP board allows a max individual image size 20MB, and no limit on the number of images you can store on your postings.

All you have to do is get admin to change the settings

Having done a couple of tracert and IP lookups, it appears that the TR Register are using a small niche ISP hosting service, not that I have anything against small or niche, but as this ISP doesn't publish any hosting costs I suspect that they may be charging the TR-Register a premium price.

Anything in the Register Accounts so that we can compare with current market rates. I suspect not!

NB. As the Forum isn't actual integral to the TR-Register web site, its really only a link, they could host the forum on a server anywhere in the world and it wouldn't make the slightest difference, apart from cost!

Alan